Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal newborn feeding?

(6 Posts)
WaterGreen Sat 17-Oct-09 13:47:23

Because although I bf ds for 18mo, he was tube-fed EBM to start, so I'm not quite sure what's expected...

DD was born on Weds lunchtime (cs), had her first feed just over an hour later. She fed a few times through the first afternoon and evening - maybe 6 or so - then went quite a long spell through the night, about 5hrs, without feeding, though I offered the breast every time she stirred. That seems to have been the pattern since, apart from a feeding frenzy of 4 hrs on night 2, when she was barely off the breast.

As a rule, she has spells where she feeds for a long time (30-60mins) and quite frequently (every 1-2 hrs), then a longish sleepy period of up to 6hrs where she refuses - not with crying, she just nuzzles and goes to sleep. Sometimes she latches, has 4 or 5 sucks, then goes to sleep, but she's definitely getting proper feeds too.

Saw the midwife today and dd has lost a little weight, though not 10%. Midwife said these long spells of no feeding were unusual, but might just be dd's "special style". She's not dehydrated, is weeing, pooing, etc, so I think I prob shouldn't be worried, but I would rather know if there was something I should be doing now to get her to be feeding more often.

tiktok Sat 17-Oct-09 13:54:19

WaterGreen - congrats and great your midwife is supporting you. This pattern is unusual but she seems ok, and that's good. If she is kept skin to skin/v.close to you, then this is prob just her pattern at the moment

WaterGreen Sat 17-Oct-09 13:55:50

thanks tiktok, that's good to hear. we're doing skin to skin as i type smile

LIZS Sat 17-Oct-09 13:56:37

6 hours is not typical , and if she shows any signs of jaundice or lethargy then try to not go beyond 4 (try stroking ears or blowing on cheeks, undressing to rouse her,), but frequent and erratic feeding is normal in a nb. congratulations btw !

tiktok Sat 17-Oct-09 18:35:06

I agree with LIZS that periods of 6 hours are not typical - if they persist, WaterGreen, then you would need to be proactive.

However, with a baby who is still only day 3-4, we can expect these long periods of sleep to disappear. I should add that your situation is only ok because the midwife is there and has seen your baby. Would not like anyone to generalise out from this - anyone with a baby having long sleeps at this stage does need to see a midwife.

WaterGreen Sat 17-Oct-09 19:18:01

thank you both, am encouraging her to feed as much as possible and it looks as though my milk is properly on the way in - she's had 2 very satisfying, milk-dribbly feeds this eve (and is now asleep of course smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now