Talk

Advanced search

fast flow -->choking -->cutting feed short as baby seems "scared"

(6 Posts)
scrunchie Fri 16-Oct-09 18:38:10

Hello!
Having a few problems with fast flow and doing usual things (feeding more upright, expressing into muslin first, taking baby off once latched so flow goes into muslin, feeding more often)
BUT when it does happen, baby chokes, screams and stops feeding either cos he is crying and seems scared to go back on (rejects breast if offered) or goes to sleep instead.
If he remains awake, once the crying stops he seems to "forget" to be scared and may go back on (and often feeds ok as the fast flow has slowed by this point)

My worry is whether this is normal and also that feeds may be getting cut short and therefore baby not getting enough milk.
Has happened tonight - went to sleep after 5min of feed
(Tho he might have just twigged as I can hear him crying.. perhaps woken and thought hang on a mo.. have I just answered my own question? Better go!!)

anothercoldcupoftea Fri 16-Oct-09 19:09:07

Is it normal? Yes, its a common problem I believe. I had it with DD1 and DD2 (although DD2 now 4 months so less bothered).

Is he getting enough milk? Usually not a problem with a fast flow, as even if only on for a few minutes, its getting hosed into them (a bit like a foie gras goose hmm). But you'll be able to tell by weight gain/how settled he is/nappies etc as you say.

How old is your DS? Sounds like you are doing the right things, you just have to let them tell you when its too much, and be patient when waiting for it to slow down and put them back on. Fast flow usually, I think, also equates to oversupply, so you could try block feeding for a bit? I found this helped with DD2 in the early weeks when my supply was all over the place and way too much occasionally. The kellymom website is very helpful if you haven't found it yet.

If its becoming a real issue and he starts refusing to feed as he is too scared, you could consider nipple shields to help slow the flow. You have to be careful they don't impact supply though. I found them very helpful for DD1 and used for 4 months, but didn't need them for DD2 (partly because she's BFG of a baby and so copes better!).

scrunchie Fri 16-Oct-09 21:00:46

Scared.. yeah right.. he fed from when I posted to 10minutes ago... (tho admittedly flow has slowed now so maybe just making up for lost milk!!)

scrunchie Fri 16-Oct-09 21:02:37

Thanks for the foie gras analogy.. hadn't thought of that.. yes with that much milk going down he is basically getting stuffed with minimal effort.. so maybe rather than stopping due to fear he is stopping cos he is full!

DrCosyTiger Sat 17-Oct-09 14:07:44

Hi Scrunchie, I had exactly the same problem with DD, now 7mo. It lasted for about 2-3 weeks and after that my supply lessened a bit. So don't worry too much - it does pass. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. And your LO will almost certainly be getting enough milk - with a supply like that it won't take long to get what he needs. As long as there are a few wet nappies a day it will be fine. My DD never stayed on long but she went from 10th centile at birth to 95 on my milk and she's still huuuuuge!

anothercoldcupoftea Sat 17-Oct-09 14:09:59

Sounds like he's doing OK then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now