Talk

Advanced search

Roughly how many feeds a day should a 3.5 month old be having?

(22 Posts)
sassyhopper32 Fri 16-Oct-09 16:38:34

I'm feeding my 3.5 mth old dd about 6-8 times per day (she's ebf), depending on what time she wakes up etc, but am wondering if this is too much/too little? She doesn't really cry much in the day out of hunger and I try not to let her go longer than 2.5 to 3 hours max thout feeding, so am wondering if it's ok to feed her less often?
She was 6lb 9oz at birth and has only been on 2nd centile since, but doctor and HV have no concerns about her weight (not sure what she is now, last weighed 2.5 weeks ago when she was 9lb 9oz)

Getthekettleon Fri 16-Oct-09 18:21:26

Sounds like its all going really well and you should be well chuffed with that and try not to worry! Good work!

facebookaddict Fri 16-Oct-09 18:33:53

Hey, my baby is same age (and sim birth weight) but I am bottle feeding so I know it's slightly different/easier for me to see. If it makes you feel any better, she's a real snacker and often has more mini feeds than she 'should' have.

I tend not to get too hung up on it (well I try not to) and concentrate on wet nappies and regular poos! (she's about 6 a week, so not quite one a day).

I think 'should' means big feed 7am, big feed 10ish, middle feed 2ish, little feed 4-5ish and middle feed 6.30-7ish and then a 10.30 feed (so that's 6 feeds). I have been trying to approximate to this and baby has been sleeping through the night since 12 weeks (although poorly now and waking for that reason).

Having said that - every baby is different. Mine is having about half of what her peers (also bottle feeding) are taking! Might be because some of those don't do the 10.30 feed but could just be appetites....

Sounds like you are doing a good job and if baby is content and on same weight curve as birth weight then just keep going! Tricky when breast feeding but she'll take what she needs.

If you are wanting to space feeds out a little (as too restrictive to feed v often) then you could try offering some water to fill her up temporarily which might get you to have one bigger gap, and hungrier baby might take bigger feed. I know it's easier said than done. To be honest, they kind of fall into their own pattern though don't they?!

BertieBotts Fri 16-Oct-09 18:43:20

I think 6-8 times is pretty good for a 3.5 month old Does she feed a lot in the night? When you say you don't let her go longer than 3 hours without a feed is this at night too? I would be inclined to say let her sleep if she is asleep. If not though carry on as you are, you are doing great.

facebookaddict Fri 16-Oct-09 18:52:00

Oh yes, I never wake to feed!!!

sassyhopper32 Fri 16-Oct-09 19:18:21

Thanks! Until very recently she was sleeping from about 8.30ish pm til 11pm (falling asleep after feed), then I would wake her to feed and she'd sleep til about 7am - yes, it was great!!

But about a week ago she started waking at least twice in the night - growth spurt maybe?? The last few nights I've been letting her sleep on to see when she would wake herself - it's been anything from 4.15am to 5.30, so that's a very good long stretch. I'm just wondering if by some miracle she slept the whole night ie from 8 or 9pm if it would be too long without a feed? I know they say that a baby will wake if hungry, but am just slightly concerned about her being little and worried that she shouldn't be allowed to go so long without feed at this age?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Oct-09 19:25:16

Message withdrawn

facebookaddict Fri 16-Oct-09 19:28:06

No it's not too long. Babies I know have been doing 7-7 for a whole month already. If she can do it then she can do it!!!!

Let her dictate. Sounds like the 6-8 feeds you are doing during the day are stocking her up for the night.

Sounds really good! Prob won't be long before she does 8-7 on her own. I just prefer to do my feed at 10.30 not 5ish! Esp as DS1 got to an age when he started to think about being active at 5ish when he woke and I'd far rather drop the dreamfeed when the 10-7 was well established.

sassyhopper32 Fri 16-Oct-09 20:42:32

Ta! Yes, I did like doing my 11pm feed, as then got a nice long night, but last week she started waking at 2am and 4.30 or 5am, and 6.30ish after the 11pm feed.....it was killing me, as I'd really got used to the unbroken midnight til 7ish stretch.

She certainly has plenty of wet and dirty nappies, so it all seems good. Am not getting her weighed again until end of October, so hopefully she'll still be gaining steadily. Am fed-up of people commenting on her small size - she's gorgeous though and very alert and active; I guess they'd be happier if she was a vast blob....!

facebookaddict Fri 16-Oct-09 21:26:01

Wet nappies, poos, gorgeous, alert, active - how fantastic! Mine too (although suffering terribly from ear infection at present which I have had to FIGHT to get antibs for)

Is she your first?

sassyhopper32 Sat 17-Oct-09 08:51:43

Hi facebookaddict, yes she's my first, hence all the worry and paranoia! Just wish she'd nap in the daytime (other than on my shoulder....but that's another story!) Hope your LOs ear infection gets better soon x

facebookaddict Sat 17-Oct-09 10:42:35

Oh the daytime napping thing is the last thing to fix if I remember rightly and weirdly I'm kind of reveling in DD having no daytime nap at the mo as when they do, it's best to do it in the house so you are stuck inside for 2hrs at lunch. Make the most of her napping on the move in the buggy and have lots of lunches out!!!!

With DS I don't think he started doing a proper 2 hour nap until around 6 mths (but then we didn't get a lot of things 'correct' with my first..). Don't stress...it'll happen!!!

By the way, the worry and paranoia is almost the same for number2 but you have more skills to battle it!

sassyhopper32 Sat 17-Oct-09 12:54:20

Number 2!! Cant't imagine that at the moment!

DD doesn't really even nap in the pram....or she will fall asleep 10 minutes before we get home and then magically wake up as soon as we're in the house. I can see what you mean about being stuck to their schedule once they do nap as my friend, with 11 month old and 2.5 yr old, has to plan all our social outings round the afternoon naps!

facebookaddict Sat 17-Oct-09 13:18:02

Yep, when you don't have kids you think that people are being odd being so restricted on timings but honestly it's the only way to get the well needed half time break!

DD will start to do longer naps when she's older and doing things like crawling which uses lots of energy!

sassyhopper32 Sat 17-Oct-09 17:53:24

Here's hoping!! x

facebookaddict Sun 18-Oct-09 11:39:10

Oh and just to make you laugh, I now have 2 kids without lunch time naps as 2.5yr old gave it up two weeks ago... AGGGGH. Actually it will be quite nice when 3mth old starts to nap at lunch so that I get time with the older one on his own...

You can never win!

sassyhopper32 Sun 18-Oct-09 14:08:32

Wow, you must be busy! DD is currently napping on my shoulder, bless her (awake more or less since 4.15am, not surprised she's tired, cos i certainly am!)

facebookaddict Mon 19-Oct-09 14:05:04

Oh goodness... hope your day today started later!!! (totally unrelated but my DS1 used to wake early in the morning for 2 reasons, 1)no blackout blind as he hit this crucial 4mth mark in mid summer, and 2) because he took his long nap in the morning instead of lunch...)

sassyhopper32 Tue 20-Oct-09 13:50:08

Still can't get DD to take proper naps! She miraculously slept in her cot for about 40 minutes yesterday lunchtime, but that's the most success I've ever had! Currently she's wailing upstairs having a 'nap' and I'm just about to give up on it for today.....

At least the mornings are dark now, but am not looking forward to clocks going back this weekend, and we're staying with the in-laws in Ireland as DD's being christened. I know my mum-in-law will be fussing like mad about DD's sleeping, eating etc.......

facebookaddict Tue 20-Oct-09 15:35:07

I know, the mums and the MILs all forget what it was like and that it takes a while before routines get going.

Mine not napping properly at lunch either (although with being poorly for 2 weeks it's all a bit out at the moment). I read somewhere that 45 mins is a usual nap cycle so for them to settle into a lunchtime nap they need to resettle at the half way point. Perhaps leave her to cry for just a little bit when she wakes to see if she goes back down again for second leg....? It HAS worked for me...twice, but not tested since poorly....

Does buggy walking help? Or maybe fresh air walk in babybjorn then put down?

sassyhopper32 Tue 20-Oct-09 16:43:13

Not much helps tbh. She wouldn't nap today, apart from short sleep just now on my shoulder. She's only ever had one nap in her cot, the 40 min one yesterday. I've never liked sleeping in the daytime either, not even when I was on mat leave just before she was born, maybe she takes after me!

No-one tells you about all this sleep palaver before you have a baby do they??

facebookaddict Tue 20-Oct-09 19:16:16

No! if they did, you wouldn't have any and the theory behind having two is that one day they'll play together/you can put them both in front of Sat tv with biscuits and get some of that longed for sleep again!

she'll settle down when she's bigger... at 3mths babies are all doing different things but I think about 99% of babies at 9mths-1yr old are all in the same exact routine with long lunch nap.... hang on for it... one day you'll be able to have an adult conversation or make a telephone call again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now