Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's the minimum amount of feeds a 14 month can have, and I am OK to decrease them?

(8 Posts)
InaneHouseholdObject Fri 16-Oct-09 14:22:35

My nearly 14 months still feeds alot, although in the last month it has got alot better. he doesn't awlways want a feed in the morning, has even gone happily until late morning but more often than not is an and off all day, clustre feeding in the evening, lots of snacks feeds and tugging at my top, and some nights feeds up to 5-6 times, usually about 2, sometimes 1. I do offer water which he loves and has his own little scream for, and snacks but sometimes he just wants a breastfeed. Most of the time I really don't mind, but I think maybe it's getting abit much Last night he barely slept, just snacked and rolled about the bed, won't go into his cot (not really a BFing issue but it's a large reason why I still am co sleeping), I cannot leave him for more than about 2 hours in the day, and not really at all in the evening and I am totally drained. I always imagined feeding at 1+ would be a morning feed and a night feed, and maybe 1-2 during the night.
Anyway, would it be 'ok' to try and regulate his feeding abit more at this age - maybe morning, 1-2 day time and a night feed? (unless he is ill or hurt), or is it still early days and he is only asking for what he needs? A paediatrician commented on how big he was (a&e after a fall), he was 10lb 5oz when born though, but could I be over feeding him? Aside from my 'needs', does he still need all this milk? Thanks

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 16-Oct-09 14:24:23

you mention giving him 'snacks' but does he have meals too? What solids does he eat?

InaneHouseholdObject Fri 16-Oct-09 14:30:46

Oh sorry, he eats 3 meals a day. He can eat like a horse - usual things, toast in the mornings or porridge or crumpets, wrap with chicken and cucumber for lunch, meat/fish with pasta/rice/potatoes and veg for dinner. He loves water too, will take a good few inches a few times a day (I was worried it was thirst).

tassisssss Fri 16-Oct-09 14:35:47

You've done great to feed till now. Of course you can reduce to 1-2 a day and one at night if that's what you want to do. My 3 were down to first and last thing only by a year (and dd2 still had a 5/6am snack the wee minx!) because that's what worked for us. The thing no-one spells out is that you can do whatever you like! If you're knackered and think feeding less would help, can your DP step in and help a bit? (I found if it was me with a grotty baby I'd just feed because I could, it was like the only way I could comfort/distract them, where d Good luck.

MamaG Fri 16-Oct-09 14:36:50

I'll watch with interest. BabyG is almost 1 and is feeding LOADS at night at the mo. He won't take water in teh day though so I daren't limit really, although I'm feeling rather drained (literally!)

ShinyAndNew Fri 16-Oct-09 14:36:59

What about introducing solid snacks during the day?

Tiny tums need food little and often. Yoghurts, veggie sticks with cream cheese dip, toast fingers, cheese sticks/cubes etc between meals

i.e breakfast @ 8
snack @ 10
lunch @12
snack @ 2
milk @ 3
dinner @ 5
milk for supper?

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 16-Oct-09 14:46:39

well, I am certainly no expert, I just have a dd of a similar age. she has milk first thing (bfeed, although in the couple of weeks she has not been taking at all so I am dropping this as of this weekend, will replace with cup of cows milk)
and a bottle of cow milk before bed

Until recently she was also having 1 cows milk feeds mid afternoon or mid morning depending on when she napped. we're not on a strict routine! but again we are just dropping that now too.

so in my amateur opinion I would say he doesn't need very much at all anymore, certainly not through the night etc, so your suggested amount sounds fine to me. Wanting and needing are quite different things though, he's obviously quite keen on breastfeeding so I don't think it will be easy. You must be desperate for your evenings back though if you are cluster feeding every night! you poor thing!

SleeplessInSheppey Mon 19-Oct-09 10:09:41

He does snack during the day at the mo. on solids (fruit, crackers etc.)It's good to hear he doesn't need it, I think I will gently encourage him to feed less. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now