Talk

Advanced search

Food to eat and food you can't have while breastfeeding

(16 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Fri 16-Oct-09 13:51:56

Just been to a local breastfeeding group (sure start) run by a nurse and a HV. They said they're going to do some talks in the session and apparently this is one of them. When I questioned it, they said swordfish and onions should be avoided, and peanuts, but they think all nuts, if there's a family history of allergies.
hmm
Nice way to normalise breastfeeding!! No doubt one will be "moving on to a bottle".
Right, off to make muyself a swordfish and onion sarnie. Glass of wine anyone?

anothercoldcupoftea Fri 16-Oct-09 13:55:07

Nice and up to date with the correct advice then hmm

Although I think they need to let women know that eating half a cake a day is absolutely mandatory.

MrsBadger Fri 16-Oct-09 13:56:09

wonder what they'll suggest as 'ideal foods to eat'? hmm

if they suggest 'drinking milk to make milk' be sure to say 'oh yes because that works so well for cows, doesn;t it'

then stab them with the swordfish

actually maybe you should out their schedule and arrange for a horde of mners to descend on the talk

we could all bring swordfish...

MrsBadger Fri 16-Oct-09 13:56:55

half a cake?

half a cake?

that is dangerously outdated advice, you know... grin

StealthPolarBear Fri 16-Oct-09 13:57:46

oh yes, make sure you have 5 fruit & veg a day, wholemeal bread, fish with heads but no swords...drink cooled boiled water only, one pint every time you feed...

StealthPolarBear Fri 16-Oct-09 13:58:24

lol at stabbing them with my swordfish - do you think it would be best frozen?

StealthPolarBear Fri 16-Oct-09 13:58:58

and always wear white cotton knickers with a pink bow or the baby gets colic

tiktok Fri 16-Oct-09 14:01:45

This is very poor - out of date and as you say, undermining of normal bf.

This is guidance on peanuts for people with and without family allergies:

www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Children/Maternity/Maternalandinfantnutrition/DH_104490

Onions???? Individuals may (may) notice an effect but as a generalisation there is no need for advice to avoid.

The swordfish stuff is on the Food Standards website, IIRC, along with advice on marlin. All a bit fringe...

SPB - please complain to SureStart before it happens. You don't have to be rude about them.

tiktok Fri 16-Oct-09 14:02:13

LOL at knickers and the swordfish

StealthPolarBear Fri 16-Oct-09 14:05:14

yes, have no problem with looking at diet if there's a problem - i drink loads of coffee so if there was a problem would consider cutting it out, but their talk came across as list of forbidden food.
Think I'll go to the talk, then complain. I did say to them at the time that I didn't think there were (many) banned foods (i'm a non fish eating vegi so very little applies to me) and then they said "well if there's a problem" and also started waffling about peanuts.
Rest of the group thought the same as me though - was talking afterwards.

StealthPolarBear Fri 16-Oct-09 14:05:53

talking over cheese & onion toasties

Babieseverywhere Fri 16-Oct-09 14:10:32

I hear this all the time at M&T groups from other mothers.

I would of been nice to breastfed but I like...

: Sleep
: Sex
: Alcohol
: Chocolate/Coffee/Curry

hmm

MrsBadger Fri 16-Oct-09 14:21:48

oh I heard a terrible one the other day (earwigging in Costa, didn't know the women)
'It would have been nice to bf but I liked knowing everything was sterile...'

anothercoldcupoftea Fri 16-Oct-09 14:26:34

Sorry MrsBadger, you're absolutely right, have just checked and the latest advice is an entire family sized cake a day (with a bar of chocolate if its been a particularly hellish day).

<<slightly embarrassed as have actually been known to eat this much when BF (but slightly justified as have still lost weight) emoticon>>>

StealthPolarBear Fri 16-Oct-09 14:35:26

no doubt avent or someone will come up with a nipple steriliser, a snip at £80, only the best for your baby.

StealthPolarBear Fri 16-Oct-09 14:44:56

just seen you suggest complaining before, sorry tt.
Will give it some thought. TBH it sounds like their 'advice' will probably be correct re peanuts and pointy fish, it's more the very fact they have to have a huge talk on it that makes me hmm, that it's so important and so complicated that you need a lesson on it. Not sure how that would come across from me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now