Talk

Advanced search

Why can't you use snufflebabe etc on a baby under 3 months?

(7 Posts)
HeinzSight Thu 15-Oct-09 15:08:40

My DD2 is terribly snuffly and despite using a humidifyer and nasal aspirater she's still getting very blocked up.

She's 9 weeks old, would it be OK to use now?

Malkuth Thu 15-Oct-09 15:21:54

It may be something similar to suncream where it hasn't been tested. With DD2 I used to put it on me so she still got to smell it. I figured loads of people wear perfume, oils, scented products etc and that is ok so I was just wearing eucalyptus/menthol perfume! I did check with the HV that it was ok too.

HeinzSight Thu 15-Oct-09 16:41:13

thanks Malkuth. I might give my HV a ring too smile

HeinzSight Thu 15-Oct-09 18:36:54

I asked my GP and HV and they said no sad

BertieBotts Thu 15-Oct-09 19:06:28

Aww poor babe Try putting some books under 2 legs of her cot so it is at a slight angle (or stuffing something under moses basket mattress)

Have you looked up the age suitablilty of Karvol? That goes on bedding/clothes rather than skin so it might be different.

gorge2003 Fri 16-Oct-09 12:55:45

my dd....who is nearly 6 weeks has been bunged up since she was 2 weeks old....i took her to the doctors and they told me to buy karvol or snufflebabes...i bought karvol as couldnt find the other one...karvol says 3 months and up but as i was told to by doc i did...i only used half a capsule at a time and dabbed it on her top, really helped!

also stuffed two folded blankets under her mattress to prop her up and that helped too!

MrsBadger Fri 16-Oct-09 13:15:18

I used snufflebabe on a muslin tied to the moses basket - what they don;t want is a) you smearing it on bare newborn skin or b) it masking more serious symptoms that a doc should see

raise head of cot / basket and keep her upright (ie on you, maybe in a sling) as much as possible so the snot has a chance to run out her nose rather than down her throat, iyswim

iirc we had a plug-in vaporiser thing (Karvol? vicks? was just from Boots) too that was pretty good at night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now