Talk

Advanced search

need any tips( breast to bottle

(5 Posts)
jellyfingers Thu 15-Oct-09 12:29:19

has anyone got any tips or advice on getting 13 week old dd on to a bottle, as i have got post natal depression and the doctor said i have to stop feeding dd before i can have some antidepressants. i have got 4/5 different bottles and a small beaker cup, none of which she likes at all. i have tried expressing but it takes forever to get less than an ounce, i have 2 other dc so i dont have that much time to sit expressing.
any ideas would be very welcome.

thaliablogs Thu 15-Oct-09 13:14:44

Jelly fingers, two things

First, if you do decide to stop breastfeeding try to get someone else to give her a bottle at first, very hard for her to take it from you.

Second, are you sure you want to stop breastfeeding? Because many docs tell you to stop before taking ADs as a catch-all, but there are several ADs which are considered safe for breastfeeding. I don't have the knowledge of which, but tiktok may and someone recently posted a link to Thomas Hale's classification of medicines as to whether or not they are safe for lactation. have a think about it.

ramblingmum Thu 15-Oct-09 14:00:55

If you would like to speak to some one about antidepressants in breastfeeding,you can speak to the pharmacist at the medicines information department at you local hospital. They will be able to get all the information, or ask you Dr to speak to them.

hanaflower Thu 15-Oct-09 14:04:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jellyfingers Thu 15-Oct-09 16:34:04

its not that i want to stop b/feeding that badly ,as i don't have someone there all the time to do bottle's while she's getting used to it.and at the minute i can't deal with the crying. it's just the doctor said the better anti depressants were the ones that you couldnt b/feed with. i dont really know much about anti depressants, this is the first time that i'v ever needed them,
thanks for the reply's, i will talk to the doctor about it tomorow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now