Talk

Advanced search

Advice on returning to work, BF and shifts

(5 Posts)
moaningminniewhingesagain Wed 14-Oct-09 16:20:49

I will be going back to work when DS is 12.5 months. He drinks water out of a freeflow spouted cup/beaker, eats very well (BLW) and is breastfed, about 6/7 feeds a day incl 2x in the night at the moment, nearly 10mo.

What I hope to do is have DH give him cows milk in a cup while I at work, and I will carry on BF when I am around, but I will be working totally random shifts so I'm a bit worried about how well this will work.

I will be doing 3 days a week but it could be 7am-3pm, or 4pm to midnight, or anything in between.

Is it realistic that he will be able to go to sleep etc without BF sometimes? And not always have me around for when he wakes up? Anyone done this? I could express at work but would prefer not to TBH.

StealthPolarBear Wed 14-Oct-09 16:26:21

well my DS adapted fine to me going back to work at 11mo, slept etc and I BF morning evening and night. I would imagine you'll be fine with shifts, the only issue could be supply which at 12.5mo should be fine. I think I got engorged though to begin with so be prepared/.
Maybe feed an hour before you go, when you get back (assuming you don't have to wake him) and then in between?
TBH try it - if it doesn't work out then you can deal with it then?
Can try cows milk in a bottle if he wakes during the night when you're not there - might be more comforting than a cup.

StealthPolarBear Wed 14-Oct-09 16:27:01

and if you're only doing 3 days can feed on demand the other days - I did and it was finbe.

moaningminniewhingesagain Wed 14-Oct-09 16:35:06

I did it and it was fine is exactly what I was hoping someone would saygrin I did try speaking to one of the HV's about it (I know, I knowblush) but just got the expected 'Well you've done well to BF him this long' and I just wanted to said Sod off I'm not stopping just because I'll be working 3 days a weekhmm

I don't mind expressing for my own comfort at work, just don't want to be feeling I have to provide for when I'm not there as I really hate it. And he'll be old enough for cow's milk, as long as he'll drink it of course.

StealthPolarBear Wed 14-Oct-09 16:41:46

Well you'll be able to try him on cows milk before you start back, so that should put your mind at rest, hopefully (DS is a milk monster and isn't fussy about its origins ) DS was on cows milk from 11 months as I would have found expressing for the 'missed' feeds very stressful.
I really think it's worth a try - he's old enough that you can reassess if it seems to be a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now