Talk

Advanced search

underwired bra ok when bf?

(13 Posts)
mama2leah Wed 14-Oct-09 10:56:04

hiya
just wondering if under wired bras are ok? im so sick of these nasty unsexy nursing bras from mothercare

flier Wed 14-Oct-09 10:57:31

I found one very uncomfortable and quickly had to resort back to the unsexy ones smile even now, 2 years after breastfeeding, I cannot wear an underwired bra sad

Mummy369 Wed 14-Oct-09 11:54:39

There are lots of other stores which stock nursing bras, including Marks and Spencer; Tesco; Bravissimo; Debenhams (and most other larger department stores).

I am surprised you haven't found anything you like in Mothercare. I give talks on breastfeeding to health and social care students and one of my 'props' is a very sexy black (with pink hearts) and white lace bra which is styled similar to underwire bras - purchased in Mothercare.

Good luck finding something you like smile

pooter Wed 14-Oct-09 11:59:03

apparently the pressure from the wires can lead to blocked ducts - which can lead to mastitis, so i wouldn't risk it. Have you tried the company Hot Milk? They dont do humongous sizes so no good for me, but a friend raves about them.

theDeadPirateRoberts Wed 14-Oct-09 12:03:03

Apparently it's ok as long as the wires aren't pressing on the ducts - ie are completely away from the soft tissue and stop before they come up above your ribs. Which means making sure it fits exactly - is it worth trying on a few, and then stopping f it starts causing problems?

pooter Wed 14-Oct-09 12:06:17

erm.. why the italics Dread? I was just relaying what i had been told on me BF Helper course.

CarmenSanDiego Wed 14-Oct-09 12:09:56

I've noticed in the US that nursing bras seem to have underwiring, although I was always advised against in the UK.

I've worn underwired bras plenty while feeding my babies but wore a bra that was too tight and gave myself a blocked duct for the first time recently so be careful to at least make sure they fit properly.

theDeadPirateRoberts Wed 14-Oct-09 12:10:32

Sorry pooter - italics was because I've been told this but haven't tried it myself. No offence intended.

pooter Wed 14-Oct-09 16:49:00

S'ok - was feeling delicate this morning smile

anothercoldcupoftea Wed 14-Oct-09 19:54:48

Treated myself to some Anita underwired bras here

And very nice they are too!

Couldn't find any in mothercare that supported me properly, but these are great. Have had one blocked duct so far (in 4 months), but then I had a few last time as well and only had non underwired bras. I think a good fit is everything as Carmen says.

Knickers0nMaHead Wed 14-Oct-09 19:56:17

I've been wearing under wired bras for 11months whilst feeding and never had a problem.

ChairmumMiaow Wed 14-Oct-09 20:01:02

I've been wearing underwired nursing bras since about 6 months in but I decided to try them as I've never had any trouble with mastitis or blocked ducts

CarmenSanDiego Thu 15-Oct-09 00:56:47

I said that then got a blocked duct for the first time, 9 months into feeding dc3!

Cleared up fairy quickly with lots of heat, but not pleasant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now