Talk

Advanced search

Reflux Question

(6 Posts)
wukter Tue 13-Oct-09 21:02:10

I am exc BF my 16 wk old, and seem to be posting a new question here every week...
She is gaining weight veeery sloowly, and very windy. She is mostly a snacker and unpredictable. On a another thread someone mentioned that arching the back and turning head to the side are classic indicators of reflux. Can these symptoms come and go? Some days she is like that and feeds poorly, mostly though is a good, not a great eater.

The weight thing is a concern, though she is a smiley, alert, wakeful.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 13-Oct-09 21:11:48

She'll grow out of it. But yes it can come and go. Some people believe it's to do with your diet - if you eat onions, beans etc, the baby will be more windy. Some babies do seem to be affected. Mine are just windy little wotsits. But it does pass by six months. So you are in the home stretch

wukter Tue 13-Oct-09 21:52:42

Thanks WMMC.
The weight thing is a worry, and I'm doing my best to increase the frequency of feeds - but she will scream, arch her back and turn her head away even as I put her in cuddle position. But not all the time, that's why I didn't consider reflux before as I thought that was an issue every feed.
Am desperately trying to figure out what is it...

facebookaddict Tue 13-Oct-09 22:08:17

Have you asked doc to check her ears? If she has any slight infection it may cause feeding probs as she will hurt when sucking (the ear infection could be low level and coming and going over a number of days if it never clears properly).

Similiar thought on bunged up nose (but easier to spot so am sure you'd have discounted this already).

You should check out this thread *tommee tippee anti colic bottles vs dr browns?* regarding silent reflux.

Longtalljosie Wed 14-Oct-09 09:50:18

Is she miserable around the time she's doing the back arching etc? Reflux is very painful - does she seem to be in pain?

My DD has reflux - and when it's under control she's smiley and placid. When it strikes, she's inconsolable sad

ib Wed 14-Oct-09 09:55:41

If it's mild reflux, just keeping her upright should help keep it under control.

It also usually gets better once the baby is on solids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now