Talk

Advanced search

Calling breastfeeders!!! What do you wear to bed?

(23 Posts)
ButtercupWafflehead Tue 13-Oct-09 19:28:10

Hi there! Am due in a couple of weeks and intend to breastfeed.

Last time I was up feeding in the night, it was summer and I have been thinking about what to feed in at night in winter without yanking the whole lot up, resulting in freezing back/sides/stomach.

I need to get shopping, so recommendations and links would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Tue 13-Oct-09 19:31:17

I co-slept and BF, and used to wear an unbuttoned cotton cardigan and normal jama bottoms - was spring/summer though.

nigglewiggle Tue 13-Oct-09 19:31:39

A vest top- pulled down or with opening front, feeding bra (Ieaked so had to wear pads at night) and a dressing gown. Nothing fancy I'm afraid!

StealthPolarBear Tue 13-Oct-09 19:32:35

great big furry dressing gown - just move one side out of the way

blowninonabreeze Tue 13-Oct-09 19:33:30

I wore a nighty in this sort of style, although it was so long ago they no longer have it.

I can't tell from that photo if all the buttons undo though? They do on mine

Arsed Tue 13-Oct-09 19:33:30

Any old top i can poke my boob out of

I've never leaked though so have never bothered witg bras or pads.

BertieBotts Tue 13-Oct-09 19:34:07

Well we co-sleep so I share DS' blanket over my tummy, tuck my legs into the nice warm duvet and wear a dressing gown on the top. And DS himself is toasty and keeps me warm! I would recommend co-sleeping not only for its warmth properties but also being able to sleep-feed But if you don't want to then I take from this experience the recommendation to have a blanket to wrap around you + baby while feeding, and a nice thick towelling dressing gown.

I also bought nice warm pyjamas with buttons down the front (best time of year to buy them - try supermarkets, or La Senza if you are feeling rich) I sleep with the top button or 2 buttons undone.

You can also buy nice maternity pyjamas with feeding poppers halfway down the front or a stretchy vest type top, a nice dressing gown bit for your arms (I presume to keep next to the bed so you can stick it on when you get out of bed) and adjustable waist bottoms which are great as your stomach is likely to be bigger than normal at first. I got mine from Mothercare - they were a present from my mum as I thought they were too expensive!

OOOOOOOOOOOpsacoconut Tue 13-Oct-09 19:34:11

I wore a vest top then a light fleecy zip up top and warm jammie bottoms.

I also occasionally wore a shortie warm dressing gown as DH insists on sleeping with the windows wide open in the middle of winter.

anothercoldcupoftea Tue 13-Oct-09 19:35:27

Feeding bra (very leaky me), plus cheapy mothercare nightie which unfastens at the front. But, it was so cold last night wore my maternity pjs (which aren't too big blush), and could just undo a couple of buttons to feed.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 13-Oct-09 19:35:58

nighty with buttons at the front that open bit like the link above.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 13-Oct-09 19:36:10

Nursing bra and comfy PJs when it's cold. I just pull my top up, can't be doing with buttons/zips when I'm asleep.

star6 Tue 13-Oct-09 19:36:11

I wore a nursing vest from Mothercare underneath a cotton jumper or long sleeved cotton shirt (I like to be warm grin ). I would pull up my shirt and pull down the top of the vest which is made to do so iyswim. I stayed very warm

RainbowJelly Tue 13-Oct-09 19:37:28

Cotton cardi-style tops are good, i've heard, but I wear nothing. I gave up with the bras very early on because no breast pad could contain the ocean of milkleaks in the early stages, so I used to wrap a folded towel around myself.

ButtercupWafflehead Tue 13-Oct-09 19:43:06

All very helpful, thanks! I am also someone who likes to be toasty when I sleep. Never thought of pulling top up and vest down - very sensible, thanks! Will head out on a mission for front opening tops, yankable vests and super warm furry cardigans! My sex appeal will rocket!

nigglewiggle Tue 13-Oct-09 19:49:43

Good luck with it all BTW smile

star6 Tue 13-Oct-09 19:53:09

That's how I fed while I was out as well. DS born october last year and it was so cold, I couldn't be pulling my shirt up or down, so I wore these feeding vests from mothercare underneath everything - sweaters, even. I would pull the shirt up and take the top of the vest top down (it just unclips really easily) and I stayed warm (and tummy skin hidden, too wink ).

KirstyAnn Tue 13-Oct-09 19:57:44

Asda have some nice and cheap PJs I just bought that have a vest top with a wrap cardie to wear over it. Dead comfy and nice and warm.

Just plain grey, top and bottoms with a grey and white vest top.

1stMrsF Tue 13-Oct-09 21:21:03

I've done most of my bf during the summer and wore pjs with t-shirt type tops and pulled them up. Just starting to feel a bit cold now so high on my birthday (next week) wish list are some pjs that button so I can just tuck the babies inside. However, during first couple of months I fed them in bed lying down and then was nice and warm under duvet (just made sure baby covered with blanket or dressed warmly and not covered with duvet). Other tips - have a fleece throw over my feeding chair - nice and warm on my back when pj top pulled up and grobags keep baby warm, but also you if you drape the baby over your tummy! Dressing gown keeps your shoulders warm and can be pulled aside easily at the front.

FranklyIDontGiveAMam Tue 13-Oct-09 21:23:36

I wore nothing but had the heating up high. No way was I getting a frozen boob.

Poledra Tue 13-Oct-09 21:28:37

I wore nighties with the buttons down the front - usually woke up with nightie unbuttoned, boob hanging out with small person still attached. grin However, pre-DCs, I always used to sleep naked, so having a nightie on at all seemed quite warm to me.

EdgarAllenPoo Tue 13-Oct-09 21:34:16

nothing mostly. if reall cold - maternity wrap-front jamas.

CaptainNancy Tue 13-Oct-09 21:38:46

I just wear pjs, with dressing gown over if cold... but when dd was tiny I used to have a little convection heater next to my chair for freezing nights- it was lovely.

Poledra Tue 13-Oct-09 21:40:31

Couldn't sleep naked with DD3 - if both boobs were out, she would fiddle with one nipple while feeding from the other one. have you any idea how irritating that is? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now