Talk

Advanced search

Tiktok (or anyone else in the know), I'd love a spot of advice if you have a minute...

(5 Posts)
Astrophe Tue 13-Oct-09 04:15:55

Tiktok, when my DS was about 4 or 5 months (years ago, so I'm sure you wont remember!) you helped me by advising feeding off one breast for 6 or 8 hours before swapping.

Now my little DD2 is 11 weeks and doing much the same thing as DS was at that time (pulling off and arching and screaming, I suspect due to over supply and VERY fast let down). I'm wondering if it is too early to do the one side feeding again? I don't want to stuff around with my supply (although it is ample - DD is above 100 centile) - I don't feel massively full except occasionally after her long night sleep (4-5 hours).

Many thanks.

OOOOOOOOOOOpsacoconut Tue 13-Oct-09 06:47:35

I had the same problem with DD and started block feeding at about 6weeks, doing 2 hours each side then increasing by 1/2 hour until DD was no longer arching and spluttering. It made for a more peaceful happy baby and didn't effect my supply.

Tambajam Tue 13-Oct-09 07:20:13

Definitely not too early for block nursing. People often do it before 6 weeks in cases of severe oversupply/ overactive letdown.

BTW 'feeling full' is a pretty unreliable way of judging supply. It sounds as though 'stuffing around' with your supply is actually what you need to be doing.

tiktok Tue 13-Oct-09 09:39:01

Not too early, Astrophe.

If you had a massively generous supply last time, experience suggests you will have the same this time round, too.

Astrophe Wed 14-Oct-09 00:10:04

thanks everyone. She only feeds one side per feed anyway, but I will do two feeds one one side before swapping and see if that helps things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now