Talk

Advanced search

which is the best and safest contraception to use while breastfeeding ?

(17 Posts)
theboob Mon 12-Oct-09 18:54:13

my DD is 4 weeks old now and i'm starting to think about contraception but have no idea what is safe , any advice please ? smile

TheMummyonElkStreet Mon 12-Oct-09 18:59:41

well the obvious answer is....
abstinence!!! ha ha ha ha grin but i clearly joke, it's only cos your question asked for a slightly cheesy answer!! sorry blush!!

Right so the mini-pill is an option i think but someone else with more knowledge will no doubt come on and tell you more about those.
I had a coil (not Mirena, just a normal copper coil) for over a year and found it no trouble at all - didn't hurt to go in, definitely didn't feel it when i went to have it out a year later (am 17wks pg now) and would do it again. Think the thing with Mirena coil is it has hormones in it too which can help your periods regulate and less painful etc, but tbh i didn't have any probs with my periods and didn't want any more hormones raging!!
GP very helpful when i went to discuss this - worth asking them too.

anothercoldcupoftea Mon 12-Oct-09 19:17:27

I was on the mini pill after DD1, is meant to be fine, but GP can confirm for you. They didn't recommend a coil if I was planning to have another child quite soon (mainly due to the hassle factor for them to fit it I guess). As it happened, I got pregnant after stopping the pill immediately, without a period, and still breastfeeding, so be careful!

PS extremely impressed that you're thinking about this after only 4 weeks!

Northernlurker Mon 12-Oct-09 19:24:58

The mini pill is fine. I actually used it happily for ten years and only got pregnant when I wanted to You do have to be careful with taking it and if you miss one it's a fortnight of abstinence or condoms before you're safe again. I found it suited me ok (after a little bit of irregular bleeding when I started it) and so I just stuck with it.

theboob Mon 12-Oct-09 19:45:45

thank you all for the advice but with 4DC there is no way on god's green earth i will remember to take it grin
the deed has already been done (with a condom) I thought 4 weeks was a long time grin
will make an apt with GP

Northernlurker Mon 12-Oct-09 19:55:39

I always took it at 11pm(ish) you do have a three hour window. Keeping it on my bedside table was fairly effective. Or you could try writing 'pill' on the ceiling above your bed. grin

If you have four would you be thinking of a more [ahem] permanent solution shortly do you think?

theboob Mon 12-Oct-09 20:05:25

oh god nothing sniped grin I dont feel finished yet

ramblingmum Mon 12-Oct-09 20:08:01

If you are worried about missing the pill you could ask your Dr about longer acting methods. Depo-provera is an injection given every 3 months and there is also an implant (can't remember the name)which lasts for 3 years. They both contain progesterone only like the mini pill so are ok when breastfeeding.
I have depo-provera as I'm hopeless at remembering pills

traceybath Mon 12-Oct-09 20:09:36

I'm on the new mini-pill cerazette which has 12 hours lee way.

Am also bf.

vvvodka Mon 12-Oct-09 20:10:42

abstinence

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 13-Oct-09 08:02:55

The mini pill didn't agree with my post baby hormones and sent me a bit loopy. We now use condoms which is absolutely fine for us. If you don't mind hormonal BC then the injection is probably the one for you, only 3 months in case you don't like it and safe with BF.

slushy06 Tue 13-Oct-09 09:42:18

I can not take the pill and did not like the idea of coils I dont like condoms long term as they tend to snap on me hence ds1 so I have a diaphram it worked for me for 3 years and when I stopped using it I got pg straight away I find it great 2 secs to put in and you cant feel it as much as condoms.

1stMrsF Tue 13-Oct-09 21:30:06

I take cerazette (did before TTC too) and have just got a referral from the GP to get the implant as it has the same hormone as cerazette. Lasts for 3 years.

Cosmogirl Tue 13-Oct-09 22:05:27

I tried mini pill at about 7 weeks post-birth - started bleeding immediately and it went on for ages. I got really fed up with it so stopped taking it. Stopped bleeding straight away and haven't had a period or bleeding since (DD now 6.5 months and exclusively BF)..It is great not having periods or bleeding but having to use condoms as contraception which is not ideal but ok I guess (DD is a pretty effective contraceptive at the mo!). Going to stick with them until finished feeding then go back on the combined pill.

Sidge Tue 13-Oct-09 22:54:17

Condoms
Progesterone only pill
Depo-provera
Copper coil
Mirena coil
Implant

theboob Wed 14-Oct-09 16:22:57

thankyou for all your advice, i'm going to have the implant, my hv said i could not have it , but other advice says i can grin

stillstanding Wed 14-Oct-09 16:26:04

We used condoms - grim indeed but what I felt I could live with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now