Talk

Advanced search

Come and reassure me that this is normal ...

(18 Posts)
rubyslippers Mon 12-Oct-09 14:17:30

DD is 10 days old and breast fed

the nights are horrendous - she feeds every hour

MW has been and suggested top ups or expressing neither of which i am keen to do at present

my supply is brill, and her latch is good so am assuming all is well and she is just v v v hungry

she feeds from both breasts at each feed - proper feeding with gulps - MW suggested that anything after 20 mins was just for "comfort" which i disagreed with

i am not expecting her to go more than a couple of of hours without a feed at this age but the nights are miserable

any advice/manly pats would be great

TIA

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Mon 12-Oct-09 14:18:07

<<manly pat>>

JimmyMcNulty Mon 12-Oct-09 14:27:21

Ds2 did this for a few weeks (can't remember how many - it's all a blur). Is now nearly 11 weeks and currently only feeds once in the night after we've gone to bed. I think he had a huge and very long growth spurt for those weeks - his weight gain on the chart was practically vertical (went from 75th centile to 98th). You might find your dd is doing the same thing.

TheMissingLink Mon 12-Oct-09 14:30:00

DD did this for the first 7 weeks. She gained 1lb a week for ages and shot from 50th centile to off the charts in those weeks. She has stayed there. From 7 weeks to 7 months she slowed to every 2 hours.

So yes, exhaustingly normal.

rubyslippers Mon 12-Oct-09 14:33:55

i thought so - totally usual if knackering then

maybe i should start drinking espressos!

HeinzSight Mon 12-Oct-09 14:35:08

Have you tried bringing her into bed with you and lying down to feed. I do this and am able to snooze whilst feeding.

rubyslippers Mon 12-Oct-09 14:38:43

yes - from 5 am she fed lying down and i managed to doze a bit ... i never mastered feeding lying down with DS so this is a bit of a life saver

mariamerryweather Mon 12-Oct-09 14:45:24

Absolutely normal at this early stage IME - sounds like you're doing brilliantly.

After a few weeks DD started cluster feeding in the evenings which helped with getting her to sleep for longer stretches at night.

Good luck - and congrats, btw.

rubyslippers Mon 12-Oct-09 18:57:37

just a thought - period has started today - would that have an effect?

DD been feeding up a storm and quite unsettled

QueenOfFrighteningEveryone Mon 12-Oct-09 19:01:35

Some people do say periods coincide with baby being unsettled. You sure its your period though if she is only 10 days and you are EBF? At this stage I'd consider getting increased or fresh bleeding checked out.

rubyslippers Mon 12-Oct-09 19:04:20

i mentioned it to the MW and she didn't disagree with me

am exclusively BF

the same happened with DS when he was around 12 days old (DD is 10 days old)

rubyslippers Wed 14-Oct-09 11:57:30

Wednesday update:

she is feeding a lot - in fact i don't think i can actually feed her any more than i am doing

she seems to be hungry 40 mins after a good feed

i offer both breasts at each feed and she feeds well from both

she seems sleepy but then won;t settle after a feed

last night she fed 6 times (sometimes after only 30 - 40 mins of having a feed)

she is 12 days old and i know it will settle but right now am on my knees

she is pooing and weeing well and is pink and alert

any more advice etc would be gratefully received

littleweed10 Wed 14-Oct-09 12:24:03

your story is bringing back memories of the hazy first few weeks with DS. relentless feeding is the only way I can describe it. vivid memory of eating chopped up chicken kiev, baked beans and kacket potato all mashed together, whilst feeding (again) seeminly just after he;d finished. he is still agrredy boy at 5 months at 75th on percentile for weight, just guzzler!

If you can - as others said, perfect the sleeping and feeding. And pamper yourself big time with easy meals. Set up your feeding station with phone remote cushions drinks sweets anything to keep you going.

Perhaps ask someone else to take her for a walk after a feed to give you a bit of break - the smell of the milk and you might be too much of a temptation (ooh seeing as its there, i might as well have a bit more!)

littleweed10 Wed 14-Oct-09 12:24:35

kacket?!! jacket potato, dear me

tiktok Wed 14-Oct-09 12:26:30

rubyslippers - no way is it your period at 10 days postpartum. This is fresh bleeding - this is not unusual. As long as the midwife knows it should be fine.

Your baby sounds as if all is well.

StealthPolarBear Wed 14-Oct-09 12:30:24

was also going to ask about the period - apparently it's comon for bleeding to increase at 10/14 days - I'm still bleeding at nearly 4 weeks

hanaflower Wed 14-Oct-09 13:28:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jennijones Wed 14-Oct-09 14:25:51

Hi rubyslippers, my db was the same and still feeds almost continuously at 9 weeks - am writing this one-handedly, as he is currently latched on... He's been on one massive growthspurt since being born!
Sending you a manly pat, and remember, when you are up feeding for the zillionth time tonight... I'll probably be uo too!!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now