Talk

Advanced search

views on expressing for last feed of evening

(14 Posts)
vic891 Fri 10-Jun-05 17:49:03

DS is nearly 4 weeks old and until now I haven't worried about an evening routine - his feeding pattern has been unpredictable and he's stayed downstairs with us in his moses basket 'til we've headed to bed. Am planning to start moving him upstairs one feed earlier, and am thinking about other ways of getting some structure around nighttime. A friend suggested expressing for the last feed to get a quick, big feed down to help go through for longer before DS wakes. What do people think about this - likely to help? Also - if I express, how long will the bottle be OK for out of the fridge?

Thanks ladies.

mears Fri 10-Jun-05 17:53:20

I personally would not recommend that at all. Just because you can see the milk going in does not mean he will be taking any more than he does from the breast. Expressing does not get the milk out the way a baby does. 4 weeks is very young to be worrying about a routine. By all means put him upstairs earlier, but don't give yourself the hassle of trying to express a bottle of EBM. No need to do it.

Fran1 Fri 10-Jun-05 17:56:30

I don't think itmakes it easier or quicker or a bigger feed at all. If anything far more hassld trying to express enough.

BUT if you want him to get used to taking a bottle then yes, go for it now. My dd took to ebm fine at this age, others i know that waited longer had trouble getting their children to take it.

I had no real routine just every now and then dp would offer a ebm bottle.

starlover Fri 10-Jun-05 17:58:23

you could put him down earlier, and then just get him up for a feed when you go to bed,

vic891 Fri 10-Jun-05 18:00:17

Thanks ladies, that's great. I was secretly dreading having to figure out the whole sterilising/expressing thing - everything's still too new and confusing for me to add anything else into the mix! Was feeling a bit of peer pressure from mums whose los are sleeping through. A bit off-subject for this discussion forum, but do you think that moving him upstairs earlier in the evening (i.e. before we head up at 10ish) is a good idea at 4 weeks, or is it still early enough that it won't make a difference?

vic891 Fri 10-Jun-05 18:00:59

(by "early enough" I mean at 4 weeks old)

starlover Fri 10-Jun-05 18:01:34

i think you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. 4 weeks is far too early for him to be sleeping through (although there is always the odd one who does it this early!)

there is certainly nothing wrong with popping him upstairs if that is what you want to do.

starlover Fri 10-Jun-05 18:02:10

he won't have any idea about night and day at his age... and will just wake up for feeds whenever he is hungry,...

evansmummy Fri 10-Jun-05 18:02:32

Same as everyone else really! No need to worry about having a strictl daily routine so early on, except if going back to work or something. Would recommend an evening one though( eg bath feed cuddle bed), cos that'll help differentiate between night and day.

Also think carefully about giving a bottle. It could work out vey well, but we did it (plus a dummy) and our ds had trouble bf afterwards. I still carried on, but it has been very stressful, with ds being less and less interested in the breast than the bottle. Doesn't mean it'll be like that for you though!

And just cos they have a 'big' feed doesn't mean they'll sleep for longer!! A friend started giving a 'big bottle of formumla' before bed in the hope of a good nights' sleep, but she's still waking twice in the nightat 6 months!

mears Fri 10-Jun-05 18:02:53

Personally I would keep him downstairs - saves you the hassle of going up to check him. It won't make any difference to how long he sleeps at this age. Do what is most convenient for you.

vic891 Fri 10-Jun-05 18:08:28

Sorry, wasn't clear. Moving upstairs earlier is not about getting him to sleep for longer - more to do with fact that it often takes ages to settle him, and if we wait 'til our bedtime, we're often up for ages trying to get him off. May just move the problem to earlier in the evening, but wondered if people had found it easier to settle their los if bedtime was separate from noises of parents getting ready for bed.

mears Fri 10-Jun-05 19:29:37

Does he sleep in moses basket upstairs? We used to just lift the moses basket up with sleeping baby in it night time. Didn't disturb babes at all.

toria77 Fri 10-Jun-05 20:17:51

I did this with ds at same age and sorry- but he still woke up all night for feed!!! it is suprising how much they can get from you when bf. I did find that changing from bf to bottle was easy later on because he was used to bottle early on. I still keep my ds up with us until bedtime ( he is nearly 6 months) - so you can feel smg that u r starting routine already... i'd better get organised!!

Ruthiebaby Sun 12-Jun-05 15:31:02

Hmm...I'm suprised nobody seems to be a great fan on this. I actually expressed during the day and at night before the feed was due to make sure that he fed well before going to bed. The midwife told me he would be taking approx 4-5oz, so I'd make sure I had over 5oz to ensure that he wasn't taking LESS than usual. I started this at around 6 weeksish. It seemed to do the trick for him, as he started to sleep through the night. Now, whether this was coincidence or due to the expressing is anybodys guess...but it didn't do me any harm.
I stopped at around 11 weeks and he continued to sleep through.
(He's 17 wks now, and unfortunately wakes up now at 5.30am wanting an extra feed as he's bigger and hungrier .. so remember, even if you do get a routine, it wont neccessarily stay that way!)

Good luck though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now