Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding Reflux or Colic please help

(6 Posts)
PolarMummy Sun 11-Oct-09 10:07:26

I need to apologise in advance as this is going to be a long post but I would be grateful if you have the time to read it and have any advice.

First question, is it possible for a baby to have both reflux and colic? If its not possible for them to have both how do you which it is? I know this might sound stupid but I have read up on both and while neither seems to fit my 4wk DS completely he does have symptoms of both.

He is breastfed and was spewing after every feed in varying amounts, sometimes there was so much it was coming down his nose when he was sick he was also wretching at times in his sleep and really grunting and moaning and writhing, arms boxing and legs going too. He can be fast asleep in your arms but wakens when you lie him down. After a really bad day on Friday I decided I was going to express all his feeds over the weekend so I could add gaviscon to them and see if this helped. Friday night and yesterday were an absolute dream no spewing and we didn't have to do anything to settle him after a feed he just went to sleep and I thought brill we have cracked it.

Then last night it all went to pieces again, he didn't settle after his feed at 7pm wasn't screaming the house down was just more fussing and needed nursed a lot and continuously settled and didn't want to be put down even into his seat. We got him briefly settled before he fed again at 11.30 but he settled in DH arms after this feed so we put him in his cot and after about 20mins woke and was screaming and really hard to settle.

He is also a very windy baby so I don't know if this is also causing him problems but dont know how to prevent this or help him get rid of it. I do wind him several times during his feed and spend a lot of time winding him at the end of a feed but he can still be getting rid of his wind right up until his next feed sometimes.

I realise this is very bity its a bit of a brain dump but I would be very grateful for any advice or thoughts

HeinzSight Sun 11-Oct-09 10:38:53

My DD had silent reflux and was v colicky, she wasn't vomitting just positting this horrible acid smelling curdled milk. We started her on baby gaviscon when she was about 8 weeks old and she was a different baby.

I'm not sure the same would work with 'normal' reflux.

Have you tried keeping him upright for as long as poss after a feed?

Also try things like Colief, Infacol, Dentinox. Worth giving it a go?

You have my sympathy.

Longtalljosie Sun 11-Oct-09 11:02:45

Hello there Polarmummy - come and join us

PolarMummy Sun 11-Oct-09 12:49:12

LTJ thanks for the link, I have checked it out but am in the middle of feeding so will post later as typing one handed and balancing a laptop isn't great!!!

PolarMummy Sun 11-Oct-09 12:52:11

HeinzSight what do you mean by colicky? What were her symptoms and how did you improve it? The gaviscon has stopped the vomiting and I don't think the acid is coming up because he isnt wretching

HeinzSight Mon 12-Oct-09 14:32:53

she would scream all evening, there was nothing we could do for her.

My DD2 I would describe as suffering from colic, she cries a lot in the evening. We've managed to work out she doesn't like too much stimulation and settles when I feed her lying down with the tv down and lights off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now