Talk

Advanced search

DS2 no longer interested in breastfeeding but I dont feel its time to stop...

(8 Posts)
fledtoscotland Sat 10-Oct-09 21:51:32

am I being selfish and clinging onto him being my baby or is it just a phase?

He has been mixed fed since 12weeks (one bottle of formula during the night from DH) and it worked well. Passed the year mark and he was still a boob monster. Stopped formula and gave him a cup of milk instead of formula and now he prefers cows milk to boob sad

I know during the day he prefers a cup because he can see whats going on/continue to play whilst he has a drink but come the evenings when we used to have a long cuddle/feed, he prefers his cup.

Is this really the natural end of breastfeeding?

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 10-Oct-09 21:53:50

It might be. You've done well to get to a year. It's tough when they stop breastfeeding.

fledtoscotland Sat 10-Oct-09 21:55:38

thanks dumbledoresgirl. he is now 14months old. I just assumed that it would be closer to the 18months mark and had sort of planned to stop feeding after xmas.

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 10-Oct-09 22:00:56

I am sure someone with experience of longer term breastfeeding will be along soon to advise how you might be able to persuade him back to the breast.

In my case though, I was pleased to get to a year with dd and ds3 and pretty well came to a mutual agreement with the baby to stop soon after their first birthdays.

But here's bumping for you.

CharCharGabor Sat 10-Oct-09 22:01:11

It could just be the novelty of the cup of milk and he may pick back up again. I personally would keep offering every now and then.

pigletmania Sun 11-Oct-09 10:38:17

You have done very well getting this far, but if your ds keeps refusing the breast mabey its time to move on he might be ready now. If he does not want it dont force, its up to him at the end of the day, you might feel sad to let go but you have to if he does not want it.

cory Sun 11-Oct-09 12:00:49

Dd stopped at 11 months. Just lost interest. We graduated onto other kinds of evening cuddles instead. A little sad, but sooner or later they do move on.

StealthPolarBear Sun 11-Oct-09 12:55:24

I agree - and if it is the natural end, well done
Maybe continue to offer for a few days but with the knowledge he'll probably refuse. Your supply should be fine and at least then you'll know it wasn't just a nursing strike / teeth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now