Talk

Advanced search

Suspected shingles and breastfeeding, Aciclovir safe?

(7 Posts)
May67 Fri 09-Oct-09 17:50:55

Doctor thinks I may have early onset shingles and has prescribed 800mg Aciclovir dispersible tablets 5 times daily for 7 days. They are behind my ear and can have quite serious complications when they are on your head such as permanent facial paralysis, hearing loss etc

He was not worried about the risk of chicken pox to my 8 week old DD but could not assure me that Aciclovir is completely safe while BF. I've done a bit of research and am weighing up the pros and cons of:

1.Taking the tablets and trying to maintain my milk supply by pumping and dumping for a week, giving her the frozen supply of breastmilk I've built up and then formula too.

2. Continuing to BF while on the tablets.

3. Discontinuing BF (would rather not do this as I'm really enjoying it and DD is doing so well)

I have no idea how viable option 1 is, is it possible to pump and dump for a week and then go back to normal? DD has had the odd bottle of EBM so not too worried about her taking to it.

Anyone with any experience of Aciclovir and breastfeeding?

FlamingoBingo Sat 10-Oct-09 07:25:46

Look here

shuffle Sat 10-Oct-09 08:54:39

You could phone your local pharmacist for advice. They have a wealth of knowledge regarding side effects of medication.

CharCharGabor Sat 10-Oct-09 09:03:04

here says it's fine.

May67 Sat 10-Oct-09 11:31:14

Thanks so much for those links. I've decided to take it and continue breastfeeding as all the info I've found suggests it should be fine.

Feeling rough today and spots are coming out now. DH keeping me amused with a constant stream of herpes jokes. Joy.

Thanks again.

maygirl Mon 12-Oct-09 22:04:25

Hope you're feeling ok. I had this when DS was 4 months. Doc wrongly told me would have to pump and dump for week while on aciclovir. I couldn't face it whilst ill so didn't take the drugs. Found out after would have been safe angry. My DS did get chicken pox, but a mild dose and was not bothered by it, and was glad was still BF through his illness.

I did take the nice strong painkillers diagnosed for the pain though. Hopefully you will recover fast with the aciclovir

May67 Tue 13-Oct-09 15:31:37

I'm feeling a lot better actually, not entirely convinced it is shingles and not just a weird virus, but then again I had proper shingles when I was about 14 on my stomach and wasn't too ill with them. Just so glad I can carry on BFing.

DD seems fine, but as the tingling pain is behind my ear she hasn't had any contact with the area. She had her first jabs today so I'll be a bit trigger happy with my digital thermometer for the next few days anyway!

Thanks for the sympathy and good name MayGirl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now