Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you ignore HV advice?

(15 Posts)
heartmoonshadow Thu 08-Oct-09 17:03:06

Hi,

I have a 14 week old son who this week has had a lot of tummy upset - in that he got constipated and as a result did not go for 72hrs (usually goes everyday) and it was not a pretty sight!! Anyway as a result of issues and growing and everything he weight 5.82kg was 5.84kg last week - his first ever loss and to be honest it is not even an 1oz in the grand scheme of things. Obviously he should have put weight on but I hardly thought it was a crime once in a while.

Anyway HV came down on my like a ton of bricks - asking if I had stopped feeding him for any reason - she was horrified to find out he sleeps 12hrs a night at 3 months and said I should wake him every 3 hours to feed - I think that this is a totally over the top reaction as DS has been sleeping through like this since week 6 so obviously as had no problems before I don't think this is the problem - he just hasn't been well.

Would you ignore the HV and just carry on as was?

louii Thu 08-Oct-09 17:06:18

Is he breast or bottle fed?

belgo Thu 08-Oct-09 17:07:11

Are you breastfeeding or bottlefeeding?

What were the symptoms of his tummy upset - you say he was constipated but was he in discomfort, high temperature for example?

What is his feeding pattern like?

AddictedtoCrunchies Thu 08-Oct-09 17:08:18

Ignore ignore.

It doesn't hurt if they don't gain weight in one week. If he's poorly then he won't!!

If his poo problem continues then cross that bridge when you come to it it.

And my HV always said that if he's sleeping then he clearly needs it so don't wake him. And I stick to that now at 20m.

Someone told me on here a year or so ago that no one can parent your child as well as you can so trust your own judgement. I've stuck to that one too. Thing it was Shineoncrazydiamond or Custardo or Riven but can't remember. But it was great advice and I never forgot it.

CarmenSanDiego Thu 08-Oct-09 17:10:51

Breastfed babies sometimes do have a few days of not poo-ing. My dd2 went for several days and the doctor was very relaxed about it. She said sometimes they just do really well digesting the breastmilk and there's little to excrete.

If your baby is otherwise happy and well, I wouldn't be too worried.

CarmenSanDiego Thu 08-Oct-09 17:12:26

(I think I would wake baby for a feed in the night though - 12 hours seems a little long for a baby of this age)

But I wouldn't worry too much about a slight weight loss. This excess weight charting causes far too much worrying.

pinkpeony Thu 08-Oct-09 17:12:53

I would ignore the HV, weight can fluctuate from week to week - most health professionals will recommend to weigh your baby less frequently especially at 14 weeks. My DS has also been sleeping through the night since about 11 weeks and is thriving. May be worth seeing your GP though if constipation continues and doesn't get better by e.g. giving him some cool boiled water to drink.

ilove Thu 08-Oct-09 17:13:16

Stop taking him to be weighed!

heartmoonshadow Thu 08-Oct-09 17:14:26

Little man is bottle fed due to health issues after birth which prevented me feeding him.

thanks for the support - I like your advice Addicted to Crunchies - I suppose it is being a first time mum I am a bit clueless.

AddictedtoCrunchies Thu 08-Oct-09 17:18:16

I was a first time mum and that advice about trusting your judgement has stayed with me. Now I just do what I think is right.

And he's a beautiful, healthy, tall, blonde little man who swam on his own yesterday for about 2m <proud mum emoticon>

You'll be great I promise. smile

neenz Thu 08-Oct-09 17:19:47

How much milk is he drinking during the day? If he is getting around about the normal amount of ounces for a baby that age then sleeping 12hrs at night is fine (lucky you).

There is no need to wake a baby every 3 hours to feed at this age - my DTs were breastfed but were sleeping 11pm till 7am from 12 wks old.

Not gaining weight one week is nothing to be concerned about on its own, just keep monitoring it.

Bottlefed babies can get constipated, so perhaps offer him cooled boiled water as well.

Go to see your GP if you are worried, it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

TheCrackFox Thu 08-Oct-09 17:22:01

Never wake a sleeping baby. i have been told that sleeping 12hrs at 3 months old is normal. Never got to experience it myself <sigh>

Stop going to the HV. It is not helpful to micro manage their weight like this.

tiktok Thu 08-Oct-09 17:33:59

Current guidance for HCPs is to weigh no more often than monthly under six months after weight is regained, unless there is a health/growth problem.

One weight reading is not normally enough to base a judgement on. It's the general trend that should be judged.

No one should suggest you ignore the HV - I wish people wouldn't do this on MN!! The HV has seen your baby.She knows his history. We don't have the info to judge what the general trend of his weight is.

Maybe the HV judges, on what she sees and on what has gone on before, that your baby needs to feed more often. So if you are not happy with what she has said, discuss it with her. She may have genuine concerns that she has either not told you about, or which don't appear in your post. I think you are quite justified in questioning her in more detail - you can phone her and ask to talk about it again.

mrsjuan Thu 08-Oct-09 18:31:42

tiktok - you are always so sensible - can you come and live with me please? grin

MrsBadger Thu 08-Oct-09 18:32:21

ah but she already does
just inside your computer...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now