Talk

Advanced search

How do I get pregnant while bfeeding a 13 month old at least 2 times a night?

(26 Posts)
mittyslave Thu 08-Oct-09 07:12:32

no period, co-sleeper, afraid of CIO or CC but still would like to have ddc-did anyone manage it while still bfeeding through the night?

mittyslave Thu 08-Oct-09 07:51:56

hello???

Cluckyagain Thu 08-Oct-09 07:57:25

May I ask why you're still feeding your lo at 13m - is it purely to get them back to sleep?

MrsGokVantsyourblood Thu 08-Oct-09 08:00:07

I managed it at 15 months BFing 6/7 times a day. Though my periods had returned sketchily.

mawbroon Thu 08-Oct-09 08:17:16

Pass. It took me until ds was 3.5yo to conceive again. He wasn't ready for night weaning before then

Bluebutterfly Thu 08-Oct-09 08:20:37

Apparently for breastfeeding to act as a contraceptive you need to be exclusively breastfeeding about every 3 hours. By 13 months that is no longer the case as you are only feeding infrequently. Something to do with the hormones produced.

Divvy Thu 08-Oct-09 08:23:01

I am feeding around 6 times a night (and really need to get him to stop) but managed to fall pregnant still. My periods returned at 6 weeks pp though as he was sleeping through...then envy

If you havent had your period yet still and want another baby now, I think you may have to cut out the night feeds to trigger your fertility back into working, if you dont fall in the first few months of trying.

You could try buying some cheap ovulation sticks off ebay, and use them to see if you are infact ovulating.

Good luck smile

Bluebutterfly Thu 08-Oct-09 08:23:13

If you are interested in research on the topic:

www.fhi.org/en/rh/pubs/factsheets/breastfeeding.htm

abra1d Thu 08-Oct-09 08:24:05

Stop feeding the 13m during the night. He doesn't need it and you would probably benefit from encouraging him to sleep through. If you do get pregnant you won't want to be losing sleep.

Rindercella Thu 08-Oct-09 08:27:43

shock you're still breastfeeding your 13 month old baby shock

hmm honestly Clucky, what a question to ask.

Mittslave, I have no real experience other than successfully getting pregnant while still breast feeding DD - I am now 16 weeks and DD has just turned 2. But I was only b/fing her once a day at the time and my periods had returned (actually, they returned 6 weeks after she was born despite exclusively b/fing hmm).

I guess you need to firstly find out if and when you are ovulating. Once you have this established it should be easier to work out which are the best times to try.

Bluebutterfly Thu 08-Oct-09 08:28:00

There should be no reason related to bfing why you should not conceive. However, I was no longer bfing my ds and it still took me over a year and half of trying to conceive before I got pregnant with dd, so it may have nothing to do with bfing if you are not getting pregnant, it might just take some time!

Divvy Thu 08-Oct-09 08:38:32

Really though, how do you stop feeding in the night? I have fed on demand all the way to 14 months, when do you stop feeding on demand? When does it become a bad thing to feed to sleep as it was the right thing to do before so I was told and wouldnt be a problem.

MrsBadger Thu 08-Oct-09 09:12:20

"There should be no reason related to bfing why you should not conceive."
erm, apart from it being a natural contraceptive and ovulation suppressant, you mean? hmm

I couldn't do it - even one night feed was enough to keep my periods away. We hung on till dd was 18m then did a modified version of Jay Gordon's sleep plan to help her stop feeding at night. We didn't follow it exactly though as dd was already in a cot in her own room, and where he says do x for three days we did it for a week or more or as long as it took dd to get comfortable with it, so it was more drawn-out.

But it worked a treat and dc2 is due in Jan smile.

Bluebutterfly Thu 08-Oct-09 09:13:12

If you feel you are ready to do that, my advice is then do it one feed at a time. When your child wakes up for a feed, you say that mummy's boobies are tired and offer your dc a cup of water and a cuddle - even better if you have a partner who can do it, as he won't smell like milk, but can offer comfort in the way of cuddles and sips of water. It may be upsetting for your dc, but as long as you are sympathetic, he may find it easier to deal with...

Bluebutterfly Thu 08-Oct-09 09:17:12

Mrs Badger, read my posted link. In order for bfing to be a reliable contraceptive, it needs to be exclusive (usually most people only bf exclusively for around 6 months - then they start to introduce solids) and regular (every 3 hours). Also one can still ovulate without having a period.
www.fhi.org/en/rh/pubs/factsheets/breastfeeding.htm

MrsBadger Thu 08-Oct-09 09:32:14

have read it bluebutterfly

the key word here is reliable

you get reliability data by looking at large populations and doing the stats (which they have done most commendably, tis good work)

but it will vary for individual women, and the OP was asking for individual experiences.
I know I know - anecodotal evidence vs data. There must have been women like me in their study just not many of them grin

Bluebutterfly Thu 08-Oct-09 09:40:44

you are right Mrs B, anecdotally, I have 2 friends who got pregnant recently, one bfing her 16 month old, one bfing her 14 month old and hadn't even had a period.

And it took me ages to get pg second time around when I was not bfing.

I guess my point was that if the op wants to stop bfing because she feels it would help (ie be less tired, perhaps get her periods and be able to track ovulation) then by all means do it, but don't assume that not getting pg is related to bfing.

mittyslave Thu 08-Oct-09 14:58:31

Hey you are all so supportive! I am really grateful for the advice. It is hard to stop feeding DS back to sleep as we are all so used to it. I definatley don't regret continung BFeeding until 13 months! i thought it was that i was supposed to do!!! I would liek a. another baby and b. more sleep although i realise that these 2 things are mutually exclusive!

Cluckyagain Fri 09-Oct-09 18:42:46

Rindercella - no need for the shock and horror - I only meant was the reason for the night feeds to get back to sleep or is the OP worried that she might need the feeds. I didn;t phrase it very well though. I bf mine for a long time each so wasn't questioning that side of it!!

WoTmania Fri 09-Oct-09 20:38:03

I got pg when DS1 was 7/8 months still waking and when DS2 was 11 months still waking 2-3 times at night. No period between any of them. Just depends on your body I guess.

mumcah Sat 10-Oct-09 12:38:25

Nutritionally babies don't need milk in the night from 6mo,they are easily capable of going hours overnight withouth milk.Obviously this is hard to stop if breasdtfeeding and co sleeping.
How do you try to conceive when co-sleeping anyway?Does your dc sleep in your bed on his own in the evening?

WoTmania Sat 10-Oct-09 13:48:22

Maybe you don'tt only have sex in your bed? Or only in the evening? And I don't think it is accurate to say that: 'Nutritionally babies don't need milk in the night from 6mo'.

sabire Sat 10-Oct-09 15:58:17

I conceived while bf. My ds was 13 months and I was bf day and night. I was also 38, and had been told by my consultant I'd probably need IVF if I wanted another baby.......

FaintlyMacabre Sat 10-Oct-09 16:05:53

We did a modified form of night-weaning at about 19 months. It was the first time that DS had gone for longer than 6 hours without a breastfeed. 1 week later I had my first period since he was born.
We continued to co-sleep and he gradually started to feed at night again. However, it must have been the kick-start my ovaries needed because I had one more period 3 weeks later, then 4 weeks after that I was pregnantgrin

He is still feeding frequently at night and we are going to try the night-weaning again because I'm not sure I can take much more!

mittyslave Mon 12-Oct-09 05:28:29

hey mumcah......there are other times and places to have sex than in bed and at night....in fact ds1 definitely wasn't conceived that way!!! I wasn't looking for advice on where to get pregnant, just asking if anyone had any anecdotes about getting pregnant while bfeeding in the night. i think i can handle the sex part of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now