Talk

Advanced search

How much expressed milk for a feed for a small 4 week old?

(10 Posts)
ZippysMum Thu 08-Oct-09 00:21:09

I am breastfeeding but building up a stock of frozen expressed milk for 'emergencies'.

I have breastmilk storage bags and I want to put the right amount for a feed into each bag - does 80mls sound about right? DTs are 5lbs 9oz and 6lbs 13oz.

Many thanks in advance.

moondog Thu 08-Oct-09 00:25:43

Probably so.I seem to recall doing about 120 mls but that was for a baby of over 7 lbs at birth. Congratulations to you!

ZippysMum Thu 08-Oct-09 00:29:33

Thanks moondog.

Maybe I should go fdr more like 100mls then. I just have no idea what they are getting at the moment!

VirginiaLoveGlove Thu 08-Oct-09 00:33:59

Is your baby term? for me, I froze ebm in the silicone ice trays, popped them out when they were solid and stored in small freezer bags to conserve on space. Those storage bags are expensive. It also meant less wastage of milk. The small cube trays held about 1/2 oz or 13mls? something to consider.

ZippysMum Thu 08-Oct-09 00:36:43

37w3d, but one small due to pre-eclampsia.

The ice cube trays is a clever idea!

ParanoidAtAllTimes Thu 08-Oct-09 06:28:26

We found this page helpful on the kellymom website: www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html.

hth!

ZippysMum Thu 08-Oct-09 11:11:05

just what I needed! Thanks paranoid!

yentil Thu 08-Oct-09 13:50:02

can i jump in here and ask if anyone knows if you can take breastmilk previously stored in a fridge and use for a feed a couple of hours later having then been stored in a babybag (room temperature).

in other words, do you have to serve immediately or can you wait a few hours and serve at room temperature (do i need to heat before serving)

ZippysMum Thu 08-Oct-09 15:53:23

Hi Yentil,
I think that yes, you can do what you asked. From what I remember from the hospital, EBM is ok for a while at rm temp.
Think whether you heat or not is a matter of your (or you babies') preference. You shouldn't heat it in the microwave, though - standing in warm water is the way to go so as not to destroy some of the goodies in there.

ParanoidAtAllTimes Thu 08-Oct-09 19:55:30

You can definately keep it for a few hours at room temperature, although how long seems to vary according to what website you look at! I've never worked out what to go by with the amount of time you can store in the fridge/freezer either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now