Talk

Advanced search

Can you take St John's Wort when bfing ?

(8 Posts)
crazyelaine Wed 07-Oct-09 19:25:56

Hoping someone here will know.

crazyelaine Wed 07-Oct-09 22:46:24

bump

crazyelaine Fri 09-Oct-09 14:11:41

bump ? anyone ?

Reallytired Fri 09-Oct-09 19:47:05

I'm sorry that your post has been unanswered and that you are suffering with depression.

Here is a link from kellymom

There are anti depressants that are safe for breastfeeding, for example sertaline is an extremely effective anti depressant. You need to talk to your GP to work out which one is the most suitable for you.

There is no need to wean because of depression. (unless you want to ofcourse)

NewPenName Fri 09-Oct-09 19:53:40

i think definitely not. Sure i've read that in several different sources. i guess because it hasn't been tried and tested but personally wouldn't take the risk. could you try something else instead? cbt, more help around the house, gentle exercise while baby in the creche at the local gym etc ? Sorry, to presume anything, just trying to help.
smile

Reallytired Sat 10-Oct-09 13:33:08

If the OP is seriously depressed then she needs mediation. There is no point in pissing about with councelling. Depression is a full blown serious illness. It can wreck lives and it affects the entire family.

There are risks with breastfeeding and medication, however formula feeding is not risk free either. A medication like sertaline is safe for breastfeeding mums as the quanities that get into the milk are neligible.

narmada Sat 10-Oct-09 23:30:18

If you're depressed, I would consider going straight for an SSRI (sertraline in particular). Sertraline has lowest transfer rate of SSRIs and no ill-effects have been reported in babies of women who've breastfed while on this - although I stress the evidence is anecdotal rather than scientific.
I hope you manage to find something to make you feel better. It's tough with PND and a demanding newborn, but it will get better. N

NewPenName Wed 14-Oct-09 15:33:06

reallytired - sure you mean well but depression is complex as well as often being serious and ADs do NOT work for many (speaking from experience), as backed up by recent research. i know cbt is often promoted as a quick fix-all, wrongly, imho, but it can help more than medication or in combination with medication as well as taking a serious look at lifestyle factors.
Hardly "pissing around" ! Actually imho ADs are a quick fix and it's the talking and the healthy lifestyle that really sorts out the deep-rooted problems which cause the depression.

Exercise for me makes a massive difference as does avoiding alcohol, eating enough fish/vit b etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now