Talk

Advanced search

Mixed Feeding - but baby less happy with breast now

(3 Posts)
guyshahar Wed 07-Oct-09 19:02:57

Hi there

Last week, we started feeding our six week old baby (now 7 weeks) some formula milk. This was as a supplement to my breast milk, which I was producing less and less of, and it looked like he was hungry and he was not putting on weight.

The idea was to continue breast-feeding as before, and adding a small bottle of formula milk after his morning and evening feeds.

It has worked well. He is happy, seems less hungry and put on a load of weight last week.

However, now it looks like he is impatient with the breast - as if he is used to the faster flow of the bottle and no longer prepared to do the work to get breast milk.

We have been using the Tommee Tippee slow-flow bottle teats, though the flow seems to be pretty fast.

Does anyone have any idea what we can do about this?

PoisonToadstool Wed 07-Oct-09 19:05:47

Hi, I'm sure you'll get some good advice but this is the main risk of mixed-feeding I think. Are you sure you were producing less milk? Most peoples supply begins to settle after about 6 weeks so you can feel less engorged and not notice the let-down so much but this is no indication of supply.

Have you any desire to return to exclusively breastfeeding? By feeding frequently you can increase your supply to exclusively feed, if you wish.

tiktok Wed 07-Oct-09 20:36:46

guyshahar - PoisonToadstool is right. This is the drawback to mixed feeding. You can turn things round by working on dropping the formula and increasing the bf - both in frequency and no. of sides offered each time. A call to any of the bf helplines should help, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now