Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So, I guess this is self-weaning?

(11 Posts)
SeveredPartOfTheHumphreysGroup Wed 07-Oct-09 16:39:46

Not quite sure what my question is here, so will waffle a bit and see what comes out

DD is 13 months and I think she has decided to stop breastfeeding. I guess this a fairly normal age to self wean isn't it? She's only been having 2 breastfeeds a day since I went back to work when she was 8 months, and has never been a 'boob monster', much keener on solids once we got into those.

About 3-4 weeks ago she kept consistently biting me in the evening feed; she wasn't even latching first, just looking at me, evil cheeky grin, bite. Not taking any milk.
Then she got chicken pox and wasn't eating much so after another swiftly aborted attempt at evening feed, offered her some normal cow's milk and she guzzled it down. So after that I didn't bother offering the boob in the evening, she's just been having a bottle before bed.

Throughout that though she was still feeding quite well in the morning. But now she doesn't seem interested then either.

This morning she latched on but didn't actually suck, she just lay there looking at me, then broke off to look round the room. Latched on again, few half-hearted sucks, (literally about 3) then broke off and clambered off the sofa and wandered over to her toys . It's been like this for a week or so now, I'd say.

There's really no point continuing is there? I'm not overly sad about stopping, aimed for 1 year so have done that. I guess my dilemma is whether to have one last attempt tomorrow - the monumental last feed, or just let this morning's be the last.
Seems a bit of an anti-climax to end like that but then I can't think of any good reason to have a 'last feed' tomorrow which will probably just make me cry before I have to go to work and she will not be remotely interested and would rather have a lie-in instead (I have to go in to London on Thursdays so have to wake her up to feed her before I go)

wuglet Wed 07-Oct-09 18:01:26

Sounds more like a nursing strike then self weaning - 13 months is quite young.

Search archives here or on kellymom for information.

If you are happy stopping now then that is fine, if you want to continue it can be done.

SeveredPartOfTheHumphreysGroup Thu 08-Oct-09 07:45:22

Wow you've managed to make me feel bad about it. Wasn't expecting that!

When does it stop being a strike and become weaning? When they're old enough to write you a note confirming they have no further need for breastmilk?

PoisonToadstool Thu 08-Oct-09 07:53:08

If you are happy to stop, then stop I wouldn't think it would be self-weaning at this age, so if that is important to you maybe you could offer to BF more often, she will probably regain interest.

llareggub Thu 08-Oct-09 07:55:49

My DS did this at various times. He eventually stopped at around 2.9ish. Not sure why the comment earlier made you feel bad.

SeveredPartOfTheHumphreysGroup Thu 08-Oct-09 12:21:55

It made me feel bad because I was quite happy thinking dd had decided to stop. But now it seems that actually I am deciding if I choose not to try to get over this 'strike'
It's no biggie, I guess I'm just a bit touchy about it.

wuglet Thu 08-Oct-09 20:29:14

Sorry wasn't meaning to make you feel bad blush
You have done a year which is really great (god now I sound patronising...sorry)

If you feel the time is right to stop now then please do, and don't feel bad about it.

<leaves before making things worse>

Shanster Fri 09-Oct-09 02:58:45

I wouldn't get caught up in the LLL-style jargon. If your 13 month old has lost interest and you are happy to stop then let nature take its course. Well done for keeping it up for so long!

SeveredPartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 09-Oct-09 12:27:06

thanks Shanster.
wuglet, I realised you didn't mean it like that I'm just being silly.

hairygodmother Fri 09-Oct-09 13:27:35

If it's any consolation, my dd2 did the exact same thing, more interested in biting rather than feeding, if she fed at all it was for a v short time. I was very sad to stop because I wanted to carry on (now feel terrible if this was a strike, I too assumed she'd just had enough) but she used to struggle against me when I tried to get her to latch on and this went on for several weeks before I gave up. She was just past her 1st birthday. I think you've done a fantastic job. Dd2 now 18 months and showing no ill effects at all! Don't feel bad, you've given her a whole year (I'd only managed to feed dd1 for 6 months as bfeeding was such a struggle so a year was far more than I ever expected second time around).

Camomilla Fri 09-Oct-09 17:12:39

OP - I was about to post exactly the same thread. DD is 13 months and for the last 5 days she has completly refused me. she was a boob monster, but loves solids even more (she eats very weel) but she has continued with 2 feeds a day (mor and night) plus one bottle of cows milk in the afternoon for the last month as I've gone back to work. in the last couple of weeks she hasn't been interested in a night feed much, hit and miss really (me or bottle no differece), but would still throw her dummy away and throw herself to feed first thing when she wakes up - til monday. I've tried offering more often, get some drops out to encourage, but just pushes me away, even in the morning or when she's sleepy. I'm trying to express, but my "pancakes" blush seem pretty empty (though I know that though still pancakes she was getting good feeds til she fed). she did bite me once last week, and didn't feed the following day as I'd screamed when she bit me, so when she did it again a couple of days later I just pulled her off without fuss or scream and latched back on. I was hoping to get through the winter bugs DS (5yo) will bring from school.

If this is just a strike, I think it'll really be the end as even though I'm trying to keep up with the expressing, I'm only getting about a tsp in 1/2 hr! so can't see how I'll be able to re-establish bf.

Sorry for hijacking blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now