Talk

Advanced search

Some people are lovely about breastfeeding ....its not all bad!

(7 Posts)
mosschops30 Wed 07-Oct-09 16:17:29

I went to a bf class yesterday seeing as I never managed to feed dd at all and only managed 2 weeks with ds.
The midwives taking the class were superb, lots of great and honest advice, no skirting round difficult questions and they were openly horrified about what had been said to me last time with ds which contributed to my failure to continue. With women like this running the show breastfeeding rates should be through the roof within a few months.

Then today I went to hairdressers to have final haircut before birth, I made an appointment for Xmas cut and said 'can I bring baby if im feeding' the receptionist said 'of course, and you can feed anywhere, if your happy in the salon then we're haoppy, or we can let you use one of the treatment rooms upstairs if youd be more comfortable' smile

Just thought a couple of positive stories would be nice to hear for a change smile

clouiseg Wed 07-Oct-09 16:57:57

Good on you mosschops!

I had a bad experience with Pizza Hut who asked me to sit at the back of the restaurant!

Then I had a wonderful experience with a pub where a friend and I met for lunch. Both BFer we asked the manager if it was ok to BF and we ended up with the comfiest seats and being offered iced water for free (as his wife was BFing so he knew we needed to drink!). That really helped give us a boost!

There are some negative responses out there but you just need to rise above it...ignore the bad, remember the good!!

mosschops30 Wed 07-Oct-09 17:05:12

It was just nice to hear in a trendy salon that they were quite happy for me to feed either in the salon or provide me with somewhere relaxing, comfy and quiet (rather than the usual 'you can use the toilet' type of response).

The midwives at the class yesterday were talking about negative attitudes in Britain towards breastfeeders, and also bottlefeeders. Semms you cant win either way!

tiktok Wed 07-Oct-09 17:06:20

It's nice to hear good stories

But better never to ask if you can bf....just do it

GhostWriter Wed 07-Oct-09 17:09:47

DH paid for me to have my hair cut and dyed when dd was 6 weeks and I went to a fairly trendy salon. DH came in about half way through and said dd was hungry and the lovely salon ladies set me up on a sofa with cushions and brought tea and cake to me. Twas lovely.

The only negative comment I ever had was in the GP's surgery when a miserable old duffer complained to the receptionist that 'a woman over there's boobfeeding' and she replied with an airy 'oh yes, isn't it just lovely to see?' and carried on with her paperwork. He moved to the other side of the room and glared at me.

cfc Wed 07-Oct-09 17:57:13

don't ask, just do it!! lovely stories though....forgive typing feeding at mo...!

DreamsInBinary Wed 07-Oct-09 18:30:08

Lovely smile

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now