Talk

Advanced search

How long can ds have breast milk as his only milk (dairy allergy)

(17 Posts)
barbareebaa Tue 06-Oct-09 21:37:29

Hello!
Ds is 10 and a half months. He has cows milk allergy (as well as egg, peanuts, soya, cod, wheat to name a few!)

We were referred to a nutritionist and they prescribed pepti to help - use in cooking etc but he is allergic to that as it contains milk proteins just well broken down I think to be less of a risk. Also tried neocate but that was not well received!!

A friend popped round today and said there was no point breastfeeding after a year as he will get no benefit from it and I said I really think that WHO recommend bf-ing to 2 years (did I make that up??)

I am happy to breast feed for as long as he wants me to so as far as I'm concerned he asks and he will get. But at what point will I need to give him some kind of formula or will I not need to until he doesn't want bf-ing anymore?

Hope that makes sense...

Thank you!

B smile

argento Tue 06-Oct-09 21:40:35

Why would cow's milk be better for a human than human milk?

trixymalixy Tue 06-Oct-09 21:42:10

There's no need for you to give any formula, your friends is talking bollocks, your milk will be fine for as long as he wants it.

The WHO recommends bfing until 2 and if you do decide to give up before he is 2 then you may have to think about formula as milk substitutes such as soya milk aren't good enough.

My Ds has a dairy allergy and I bf him until he was 2 because of it.

WHO recommend breastfeeding for at least two years.

To be frank you never really need to give him any other milk. The majority of the world's population is lactose intolerant in adulthood and doesn't consume milk after early childhood; the European idea of milk as a regular drink past that age is the cultural exception. If you breastfeed until he self-weans you needn't replace it with another milk at all.

ThePinkOne Tue 06-Oct-09 21:43:56

You won't have to give him formula if you don't want to. People have a perfectly healthy vegan diet (although you have to be very careful with babies I would think, to make sure they get everything they need) but lots of babies and children just don't particularly take to cows milk.

You are right about the WHO - they recommend breastfeeding to at least 2 years and beyond for as long as you both want to.

Kellymom is a good site for finding out about the benefits of BF an older baby/toddler, or search the archives on here but stick with your instincts and feed your baby for as long as you're both happy.

GhostWriter Tue 06-Oct-09 21:44:04

My dd is 2.5 and has only ever had bmilk. Tis human milk for a human baby.

barbareebaa Tue 06-Oct-09 21:58:24

Thanks for all your speedy responses!

Such common sense - yes of course why would cows milk be better for humans than human milk ?

If my friend brings it up again I will have plenty to back up my decision to continue bf-ing!

Also never considered that after he chooses not to bf any more he wouldn't need any other milk. That's put a new light on it!

Thanks so much - very reassuring!!

(although I do hope that I may start ovulating again at some point!) (what will be will be I guess smile)

You get significant health benefits from breastfeeding longer, as well...

AcademicMum Tue 06-Oct-09 22:04:09

My ds2 has a dairy allergy and was breastfed until 13 months because of it (he's now on neocate). If you are worried about him not getting enough calcium (as non-dairy allergic children would normally be having cheese, yoghurt and such like to supplement this in addition to formula/cows milk), you can get plenty into him in the form of green, leafy veg, sardines (if not allergic to those), apricots and a few other things (I forget what).

To reassure yourself about his calcium intake you can ask your doctor for a blood test to check his calcium levels. Our consultant allergist did this after I stopped breastfeeding ds2 and he was fine, but it might just reassure you.

If you do want to get him to take neocate eventually, you might need to think a bit laterally about it. I tried things like adding fruit (almost can't taste the neocate with a handful of blueberries and a spoon of sugar blended in), making ice-cream out of it, using it to make vanilla custard, giving mixed with breakfast cereals, mixing into his food. It all helps to hide the taste a bit. DS2 also seems to like it better cooled down (rather than warmed up like regular milk) as this apparently helps reduce the nasty flavour. Also bear in mind that when he is over a year old you can ask to be prescribed the yummy flavoured neocate (banana/vanilla or blackcurrant) which actually taste pretty OK and you may have more success with those.

barbareebaa Tue 06-Oct-09 22:26:03

Thanks for suggestions AcademicMum!
me and dh tried the neocate after ds turned his nose up at it - not pleasant so interesting that there are other flavours - will ask next time I have appointment with allergy consultant. Also may request blood test too - never considered this but i would find this reassuring.

also didn't realise there continued to be health benefits! more reasons to continue...

(sorry for lack of caps - n.a.k!)

millimummy Thu 08-Oct-09 06:58:50

Hallo. Second all of the info re WHO (at least 2 years). Also some people say stop bf as no immune benefits after a year. WRONG! Several immune factors actually increase after bf for a year.

Your milk is tailored to your baby's requirements. Specifically your baby. What could be better?

You are reducing your chances of getting breast cancer by breast feeding.

You might also want to have a look at this:

101 reasons to breastfeed

MrsMagnolia Thu 08-Oct-09 16:34:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

barbareebaa Thu 08-Oct-09 23:22:49

oh thanks Milli and MrsM (i was reading mrM with ds this afternoon!) I am feeling more confident about it now - was feeling frustrated that i wasn't able to stick up for myself but next time it is mentioned (am sure it will be) i will be able to.

going to look at link! smile

newspaperdelivery Thu 08-Oct-09 23:32:23

If you wanted to use another milk, other than your own, or if you had to for some reason - we found Pepti junior a better milk for dd. Over Pepti and neutramigen [sp?] Apparently more of the protein is broken down so the baby is less likely to have issues. We need a formula as my milk is about to dissapear due to some treatment.

However I say go on bfing and hurrah for you and your new found belief and confidence. I demand you go out and buy a fabby new bfing bra wink

People make such sad assumptions about bfing, despite knowing nothing about it sad

YummyMam Fri 09-Oct-09 07:25:16

I also BF my DD for almost 2 years because of her cow's milk allergy (actually, I was glad of the 'excuse'). She has never had any kind of formula. If you want to use milk in cooking, why does it have to be formula? We used Oat Milk (or would your DS be allergic to this too?).

DD now has Oat Milk as her main drink, and absolutely loves it! It tastes quite different to cow's milk obviously, but is not at all obnoxious. But, as others have said, if he is getting plenty of breast milk and a balnced diet, you do not need to worry about ever getting him to drink a substitute milk.

Enjoy carrying on BF. I always thought it would be weird when she got to the stage of asking for it, but actually it turned out to be quite a wonderful feeling when she started asking for milk from Mammy and then demanding the other side.

abdnhiker Fri 09-Oct-09 07:53:04

My DS1 is now three and a half and takes Neocate Active (blackcurrant) which is the older kids milk. We use rice milk for his morning cereal, but I avoid that for a drink as it's low calorie and he's tiny for his age. I breastfed him until 17 months when he self-weaned (I had gotten pregnant again and my milk changed taste). I'd say keep breastfeeding (as long as you're happy) until well over a year if you can, it's by far the best milk for them if they have cow's milk protein intolerance!

BTW - DS1 can now have cheese, yoghurt, cooked milk etc. There was a point where I never thought he'd outgrow this allergy so I'm thrilled.

barbareebaa Fri 09-Oct-09 22:43:09

lots more lovely posts! smile
I will ask about pepti-junior at my next appointment Newspaper! Sorry that your milk is going to disappear though. sad I shall go and buy myself a new brassiere, I shall - mine are definitely looking a little grey shabby tired and I could do with a bit of a boost!
Yummymam I have looked at the oatly milk and often wondered about it. Am glad your DD is enjoying it - will give it a go and ds can have his first taste of cereal! Is sweet that your dd is asking for bf! How lovely that she can tell you when she is finished - must bring a new dimension to the experience, being able to talk about it and share it in that way! i would love to be able to tell ds that biting really hurts actually and would he mind awfully not doing it!!
abdnhiker thanks for the info! Glad to hear your ds1 is growing out of the allergy - must be such a relief!

well have just read 101 reasons to bf, am even more determined to continue plus my af returned today (was beginning to worry about lack of ovulation for attempts of conceiving future dc) so am feeling extremely positive and empowered!

hurah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now