Talk

Advanced search

Milk expression question

(7 Posts)
Cosmogirl Tue 06-Oct-09 20:58:24

Have been Ex BF my DD who is now 6 months. In early days I used a Tommee Tippee hand pump to express which I found to be pretty useless (maybe I wasn't doing it right). Last few weeks I have been experimenting with hand expression and have been surprised at how easy it is and taking a bit off after a feed now and then I can build up a 5 0z bottle of EBM for my DD to have when I have to be away from her for a few hours once a week.

This may sound like an odd question but for those in the know is an electric breast pump more effective than hand expression? I've never used an electric one so am not sure how they work. Not sure if it would be worth spending 80 quid on one when I am quite far along with BFing (planning to stop when DD is a year if all goes well).

That said, I am going back to work part-time in Jan when DD will be 9 months so I may have to express a bit more then depending on how much solid food she is taking by then.

Thanks for reading.

VirginiaLoveGlove Tue 06-Oct-09 21:08:03

hand expression is as effective if not more so than a leccy pump. the pump is faster though, ime. as long as you have the tine and a comfy place and equipment it should work out.

if you still want to try a pump though, i have an ameda lactaline that i'll be selling real soon... wink

ineedalifelaundry Tue 06-Oct-09 21:29:24

I've always found a leccy pump most effective personally, but I really never got the hang of hand expressing. I also have an Ameda lactaline - I love it and you can do both sides at once. Bought mine second hand on eBay and plan to sell it on when finished- so the cost could be quite minimal in the long run.

Cosmogirl Mon 12-Oct-09 15:54:21

Thanks for the responses ladies. Might be interested when you come to sell your pump. If you want to email jn9511076@googlemail.com with details when you are ready to sell.

mears Mon 12-Oct-09 15:56:58

If you can hand express I would not bother with a pump to be honest. Hand expressing can be done any time, anywhere. I am a midwife and when I wqent back to work I just continued to hand express - it was just as fast (in fact often faster) than using a pump. I also expressed milk for a milk bank and did it by hand.

KatherineHepburn Mon 12-Oct-09 21:27:48

I used a Medela Symphony pump which was great. It took about 10 minutes for both breasts as there are 2 pumps. I rented it direct rather than bought it as that worked out cheaper.

Cosmogirl Tue 13-Oct-09 21:57:51

Thanks for your thoughts Mears and Katherine.

I must admit hand expressing is very convenient and no need to wash and sterilise a pump which is great. I just wish it had not taken me 6 months to realise I could do it and how easy it was! I would encourage people to give it a try if they've not done so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now