Talk

Advanced search

Quick - are peanuts ok when breastfeeding?

(20 Posts)
bonym Thu 09-Jun-05 16:07:41

Was going to make chicken satay for tea tonight as it's one of my faves and couldn't have it when pg, but suddenly wondered if it was ok to have peanuts when breastfeeding (ie. could it cause an allergy?). Anyone know please?

Tinker Thu 09-Jun-05 16:08:37

My midwife recommended I avoid them

tortoiseshell Thu 09-Jun-05 16:09:32

I wouldn't worry unless you or your dh has particularly bad allergies - (not just peanuts, hayfever, etc). Otherwise I would enjoy it. I think it is advised against, but then so are most things these days!

starshaker Thu 09-Jun-05 16:09:32

i was told by midwife that you couldnt while bf for that reason sorry to be the barer of bad news

bonym Thu 09-Jun-05 16:11:54

Oh poo. What can I cook instead?

starshaker Thu 09-Jun-05 16:12:36

im having stir fry veg with noodles and sweet and sour pork mmmm yummy

bundle Thu 09-Jun-05 16:14:07

what about marinating the chicken in worcestershire sauce/soy/ketchup/honey? with some eggy rice and buy one of those supermarket packs of chinese nibbles (spring rolls, seaweed etc)

footprint Thu 09-Jun-05 16:15:10

Why not use cashew nuts instead? It is only peanuts that are advised against.

bonym Thu 09-Jun-05 16:24:04

Good idea - thaks for suggestions! I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer for my satay .

tiktok Thu 09-Jun-05 16:39:32

Dear oh dear....of course you can eat peanuts!!!

The only reason why you wouldn't is if you or your baby's father has a definite peanut allergy, and even then it is very controversial whether this would be passed on in pg or bf.

beansmum Thu 09-Jun-05 16:42:12

I eat peanuts all the time, did when pg and now bfing. If peanut allergy runs in your immediate family then I wouldn't eat them, but otherwise fine.

Tinker Thu 09-Jun-05 16:46:46

must admit I used to eat peanuts deliberately when pregnant.

footprint Thu 09-Jun-05 16:49:06

I am super-paranoid about this as a very close friend died from peanut allergy when I was at school. So have avoided them like the plague since even thinking about getting pregnant.

evansmummy Thu 09-Jun-05 16:59:29

Been eating peanuts since ds was born, even though I was asthmatic as a child. Maybe a bit stupid, but I've not been too worried about it.

bonym Thu 09-Jun-05 18:39:07

Tinker .

My brother is allergic to all sorts of stuff so I guess I should be a bit careful, but I know that you know what you're talking about Tiktok so maybe I won't worry in future. I've made the sauce with cashew nuts now though (and it tastes yummy!)

tiktok Thu 09-Jun-05 19:10:34

Read more about new findings on this here

Hausfrau Thu 09-Jun-05 19:39:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aloha Thu 09-Jun-05 19:50:21

So pleased to see that Tiktok. There is NO official advice to avoid peanuts while breastfeeding. I have eaten them while pregnant and while breastfeeding. Peanuts are high in choline, which has been shown in animal studies to supercharge the memories of unborn offspring.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 09-Jun-05 22:03:10

Also, how could I survive through breastfeeding without peanut butter and cream cheese sandwiches?

Despite being slightly allergic-y myself (sulphide antibiotics, slight asthma, chronic v. mild excema), I've eaten lots of peanut butter throughout both pregnancies and breastfeeding periods. Frankly, as a Canadian, the idea of going without peanut butter is like giving up tea would be, for a stereotypical Brit.

rickman Thu 09-Jun-05 22:11:32

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: