Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

lactation consultant

(9 Posts)
Etoile89 Tue 06-Oct-09 11:48:02

Can anyone recommend a lactation consultant? I am in South London. Thanks!

EldonAve Tue 06-Oct-09 12:53:56

If you are in Wandsworth there is an NHS one

tiktok Tue 06-Oct-09 13:38:59

Very few lactation consultants in the UK, etoile. Not sure if you mean a private one or an NHS one. I think there is partial list at www.lcgb.org

Or do you mean a breastfeeding counsellor?

Etoile89 Tue 06-Oct-09 19:50:06

I am not sure what is the difference between a lactation consultant or a breasfeeding counsellor. In any case, I need some help with a clicking sound and attachement. Do you know breasfeeding counsellors? I have been to two breasfeeding drop-in, but might more personnalised help. Thanks in advance, tiktok

tiktok Tue 06-Oct-09 23:24:33

Etoile, most breastfeeding counsellors are volunteers trained by one of the four breastfeeding support organisations in the UK. There are also peer supporters who typically offer mostly social support and friendship.

Lactation consultants have done an exam and may be in private practice or work as HCPs in the health service - the site I linked to before has info.

You can contact a bfc via any of the helplines - I'm an NCT bfc and our line is 0300 330 0771. For local help from other bfcs you could ask your health visitor. The drop ins you have been to will know what is available too.

Hope this helps.

Etoile89 Wed 07-Oct-09 09:59:44

Thanks Tiktok. I had not realised those volunteers were available through the helplines. Will ask help for sure. Thanks again!

tiktok Wed 07-Oct-09 10:19:17

Good luck in getting the help you need, Etoile.

You may not be able to get a visit from a breastfeeding counsellor - there are not that many in the London area in NCT, though other orgs. might have some, so keep trying.

I think if you really are sure you need to see someone, local contacts may prove better for you.

clouiseg Wed 07-Oct-09 16:03:31

Another number is The La Leche League on 0845 120 2918. I had a meeting with a consellor when I was BF so hopefully between the NCT and La Leche you'll find some help! There is also the BFN (breastfeeding network).

Etoile89 Fri 09-Oct-09 14:45:19

I went to a NCT bf drof-in yesterday where I met a very niceand helpful counsellor. I think I am getting there with bf. Thanks for your help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now