Talk

Advanced search

BF for 6.5 months - still not enjoying it and painful, should I start mix feeds?

(8 Posts)
minicorrect Tue 06-Oct-09 09:12:22

One thing I was adamant about when I got pregnant was that my DD would be fully breastfed and never taste formula (Dr Sears and other reading scared me!). She did get given some when I selfishly went out one night knowing there wasn't enough EBM for her. I didn't go out for a month after that as I felt so guilty though (and that was a disaster too!).

However, we're now past 6 months, I still dread every feed, my nipples are constantly sore and my boobs feel bruised and tender all the time.

DD is an efficient feeder - only 5 minutes at a time, but fusses lots - pushing away with feet, pulling my hair, pinching and scratching me and pulls on and off lots (usually taking my nips with her!).

I was thinking maybe I should give in and try her on formula for the feed before bed (also have sleeping problems but that's a whole other thread!). I also worry about her not getting enough iron now as have read that BF alone doesn't provide this - is this a myth?

Have problems expressing due to amount of feeds - never time to get much out and find that painful too so that isn't an answer.

If I do go to formula, is there any that I can buy that might make me feel less guilty and doesn't contain fluoride (DP paranoid about that)? I know it's selfish, but it would be nice to give my boobs a bit of a break, occasionally get to go out for more than 2 hours and maybe even get some sleep!

Help!

you Tue 06-Oct-09 09:25:40

Hiya,

I'm afraid I don't have any words of wisdom but just to bump up. Has feeding always been painful? Of course you're not being selfish if you decide to mix/ff, but I'd really make sure you're doing it for the right reasons; my DD is 6.5 months, ff and is a blooming night mare to feed! Everything you mention, the pushing, grabbing, pinching, scratching- minus the nipple pulling but plus a hell of a lot of time washing, sterilising, making up bottles etc.

As for the iron, stores do not run out after 6 months, they just start to deplete. Aussuming you're weaning now and she's having a good variety of foods, her iron levels should be fine.

Sorry, I don't have any idea about formula either really, only that they're much the same tbh. I don't know or why they have flouride in and seeing as how I was unable to breastfeed, I don't want to know why it'sa bad thing! Hope you get some help with the breastfeeding soon

Limelight Tue 06-Oct-09 09:28:33

Oh poor you! I had nightmares to begin with but ultimately fed DS to 11 months. Really honestly though, if I'd still been struggling by the time he was 6.5 months I'd have moved over to formula. You've done the 6 months which is absolutely brilliant and you should be really proud that you've done that much. Ultimately the best thing for your DD is that her Mum is happy and doesn't feel beaten up after every feed.

I weaned DS onto formula for some of his daytime feeds towards the end and used aptamil because some of my FF friends recommended it. No idea if it's got flouride in it though.

weegiemum Tue 06-Oct-09 09:31:14

the iron thing is a myth. There is less iron in breastmilk but it is much more easily absorbed, so babies continue to get enough.

StealthPolarBear Tue 06-Oct-09 09:36:17

if you want to mix feed at this point I would imagine your supply will be fine and as long as you're mostly feeding formula will just be one of the other things she has other than bm.
Agree that the iron thing is wrong.
Is she earting well? Could the answer not to be to offer more water and solids?
(Don't take my advice on that though, DS was ex-bf fotabout the first year as he eats so badly!)

The iron thing is partly a myth -- breastmilk contains less iron than formula, but it's in a form that is more easily absorbed by the body so it doesn't need to contain as much IYSWIM.

If you are really hating breastfeeding it isn't going to hurt your DD to have one formula feed a day.

Holle doesn't have fluoride, but I've never seen it on sale in bricks-and-mortar shops. I don't really know about other formulas.

alana39 Tue 06-Oct-09 11:21:12

My DS2 weaned himself at about 6 months, when I had been planning to continue BF until I went back to work at 10 months. He got quicker, more annoying in terms of behaviour like there was always something more interesting going on somewhere else in the room. After a couple of weeks of this he just refused to feed - so I gave him formula (had a few cartons of Aptamil bought as an emergency supply just in case I couldn't feed / got held up the few times I had left him) and he guzzled it down. No idea about flouride sorry.

Not sure that will help, I suppose my point is that your DD might make her own mind up about this whatever you try, so try not to feel guilty about it.

BertieBotts Tue 06-Oct-09 11:51:39

You should not feel guilty - if you want to start mixed feeding that is entirely your choice. I don't think there is much known about different brands of formula - some people choose to avoid formulas which have probiotics in (or is it prebiotics?) or go for an organic brand like Hipp. Aptamil is often recommended as "the best" but this is because it is heavily promoted to health care professionals so they are more likely to promote it to mothers. Really, no formula is "better" than another though they do have different ingredients so I think the flouride thing might be a good place to start your research.

Good luck, hope it works out for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now