Talk

Advanced search

Rubyslippers could do with some breastfeeding help....

(18 Posts)
rubyslippers Mon 05-Oct-09 20:22:36

latch is ok, but still got some pain, is it the attachment? she keeps coming on and off but has been almost permanently on the breast all day.. she is 3 days old.. have still got some pain when she latches on , subsides but does not disappear. latch seems ok, she opens her mouth wide and takes a good mouthful of breast... midwife coming tomorrow to observe and help.. what do i do in the meantime?

will it be better when the milk comes in ?

bit sensitive patch on one breast, and nips are sore.

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

devilsadvocaat Mon 05-Oct-09 20:26:29

ruby, ds1 and 2 both wanted non-stop feeding until my milk came in. then when milk comes in it knocks em straight out

put some nipple cream or few drops of colostrum on nipples and air dry.

hope mw can offer more advice and that your milk comes in soon.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 05-Oct-09 20:27:12

Bumping for you rubyslippers (congratulations btw)

Do you have any helpline numbers e.g. for the NCT breastfeeding helpline?

rubyslippers Mon 05-Oct-09 20:28:15

thanks, that's encouraging, have got lansinoh and been using it.. hope milk is in soon

rubyslippers Mon 05-Oct-09 20:28:57

yes, thanks, got numbers, hoping midwife cna help tomorrow, or i will call... smile

missorinoco Mon 05-Oct-09 20:29:31

I had pain for 2 weeks, worse at the beginning, then improved significantly. All gone now. Toe curling pain that made me want to shriek. Some people do have a painful letdown, others don't (Grrr.)

In my experience (of only 2!) 3 days olds hang off the boob, this is normal. Try to make sure they don't fall asleep 2 minutes into the job, or you'll be at it again in what seems like 10 munutes when their little tummies empty; mine always zonked out at the end of a feed.

If your nipples are sore I would get the lacth and attachment checked tomorrow (as you are). I also found Lansinoh fabulous, and slathered it on with DC2 to prevent any nipple problems.

HTH.

missorinoco Mon 05-Oct-09 20:30:15

Sorry re typos, DC are sleep are mutually exclusive at the mo.

rubyslippers Mon 05-Oct-09 20:33:20

thank you too.... she keeps pulling off the breast and then rooting and crying seconds later ..

missorinoco Mon 05-Oct-09 20:40:40

Wind?
You will smell of milk, which used to drive mine into a frenzy at that stage. Could be worth getting someone else to have a go at winding her.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 06-Oct-09 00:09:54

How is her position? DD was more adaptable, but DS liked lots and lots of support. I don't know why. But lots of pillows made a difference.

twinklegreen Tue 06-Oct-09 07:19:13

Hi Ruby
It's quite common to have a bit of discomfort at this stage, once your milk comes in you should feel a difference and the pain should ease (although the toe curling let down sensation may last for a few weeks).
things to look out for are;
pain all the way through a feed not just at the beginning.
cracked and/or bleeding nipples rather than just 'sore'
If you have these things it may suggest that it's a latch problem.

Also if it is hurting alot during a feed and you think she's not on right then take her off (slip a finger in the corner of her mouth to release the suction) and start again, it's far better to do this than put up with the pain.

The best thing to do is get someone to look at the latch (which you are doing) if it look ok then hopefully the situation will greatly improve when your milk comes in. Which will be soon smile

SpookyMadMummy Tue 06-Oct-09 07:46:18

Try feeding her laying down too. It might just slightly change the position of your latch and she might not latch to the sore bit.

FourArms Tue 06-Oct-09 08:02:48

Lansinoh is fab stuff. Let your breasts get lots of air - sleep with your top off if possible, or air one breast whilst feeding with the other one.

Is this your first DC? I did get sore nipples at first with DS1. Can't remember how long it lasted, but it did ease. I got a crack before they healed though, and I wish I'd known about silverettes then. Fab things.

Milk coming in is a whole new ballgame Sore patches are always worth watching - massage with hot flannels in the shower, stroke from the sore patch towards the nipple. Watch out for flu symptoms (hard with a newborn - I felt like I had flu for months!).

Sure all is going well though. Enjoy. I'm quite jealous of feeding a lovely newborn (only because with breasts that have fed for 55m, I know I wouldn't get much in the way of sore nipples if I had to do it again!!).

rubyslippers Tue 06-Oct-09 09:41:16

morning, it's lulu!
Ruby and babyRuby had a very sleeples night... as did i.. we tried lying down feeding, biological nurturing, top off, skin to skin, rugby hold, cross rugby hold!! latch is good, pain is reduced.. think milk is coming in

babyruby fed all night.. all night , with 10 minute dozes and one big sleep of around 90minutes. she has finally crashed out this morning, had a mammoth 2.5 hour feed and then i took her to her daddy for a while at 5am... she did go to sleep for a bit and then another mammoth feed, still been pulling on and off the breast and doing some head shaking

Ruby & baby have both been asleep for about 90 minutes and look like staying asleep for a bit!!

latch definitely better, but poo in the night was more green when it had been more yellow

waiting for midwife to come later

rubyslippers Tue 06-Oct-09 09:41:46

and thank you for all of your advice ! xxxx

ilovesprouts Tue 06-Oct-09 09:43:20

has the baby got a name yet !!

rubyslippers Tue 06-Oct-09 09:49:29

no, she is still nameless, but there is a shortlist !

devilsadvocaat Tue 06-Oct-09 21:35:45

poor rubyslippers and babyruby, i hope tonight is more settled for you both (and lulu)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now