Talk

Advanced search

19 weeks feeding all the time and not sleeping HELP I'M EXHAUSTED!!!

(5 Posts)
Chica31 Mon 05-Oct-09 19:34:55

Sorry its long
My 19 week old DD has always fed and slept really well and just fell into a routine of eating every 3 hours from birth and sleeping in the day for an 1.5 hours to 2 hours at a time. At 6 weeks she slept through the night 7 til 7 with a Dream Feed from my DH of expressed milk.

For a week she has been eating every 1.5 or 2 hours. In the afternoons she is eating for sometimes an hour at a time. She is not really sleeping during the day, today 3 hours in total after 3 naps. She is also waking during the night, last night from 3 until 5, then woke at 7am. Last night she fed for an hour, fussed then fed for another hour before she went back to sleep.

Tonight, after eating all afternoon, she has fed from me for another hour. I am now so tired my DH gave her a bottle of expressed milk which she downed 7oz. She slept for 15 mins before waking up screaming. I really dont think she is hungry any more. I am so tired DH has taken her for a walk in the buggy to calm her down. I know I have milk as my breasts are really heavy and I can express. I haven't today, but I did yesterday just to check milk was there.

Is this just the 4 month growth spurt? She has had growth spurts before, but it only lasted a day and didn't effect her night time sleep. My friends and Mum say to give her some solid food, but I want to wait until 26 weeks. Do I just grit my teeth and get on with it? My nipples feel sucked off today.

Chica31 Mon 05-Oct-09 19:36:08

She only slept today as I took her for a walk. As soon as I stopped pushing she woke up.

TheShockoftheTwo Mon 05-Oct-09 21:18:50

I went through something similar with my twin boys, with one having a mega growth spurt of about a week or so, coinciding with me being ill (sore throat/cough - gross). This included a few unusual evening wake-ups. I know how some of how you feel as was knackered!

It does sound like a growth spurt, and your milk sounds like it is keeping up with the demand. As they are so full, perhaps her feeding has increased the supply and she will now calm down over next few days as she gets the extra food she is needing? Btw, I found that if they feed frequently, my breasts don't always get a chance to feel 'full', but there is still milk for both boys.

There is no need to supplement her milk feeds with solids, healthwise, so it's a decision you have to make. If you want to hold out for 26 weeks, then you probably should stick to your guns. Why not give yourself a few more days and then decide? Make a pact to do nothing but feed her, feed yourself and sleep to conserve energy while you ride out the growth spurt!

www.theshockofthetwo.blogspot.com

Chica31 Mon 05-Oct-09 21:45:28

how on earth did you do it with twins. I need to stop my moaning!
Thanks

Chica31 Mon 05-Oct-09 21:56:56

I love your blog. Your boys are so gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now