Talk

Advanced search

I've noticed something a bit rubbish...

(17 Posts)
McSnail Mon 05-Oct-09 18:07:06

...from about 7pm to 12am my milk supply is CRAP. My baby shrieks with rage/distress on the boob around this time, and when I check the milk by hand expressing, feck-all comes out. WHY IS THIS??? It makes me want to cry - we're managing with EBM, but there have been times we've used formula (not that I have anything against FF, but my boobs work in general, so I like to BF)

It's so frustrating - evenings are becoming something I dread - have been drinking fennel tea like it's going out of fashion.

Scootergrrrl Mon 05-Oct-09 18:11:17

It's probably because you're knackered by then and running, as it were, on empty. Are you getting much rest and eating plenty in the afternoons to give your body a chance to catch up?

shonaspurtle Mon 05-Oct-09 18:13:29

We called this the witching hour (god we're original wink). Ds just wouldn't settle in the evenings unless he was being fed.

It's really normal and I think helps to a) stimulate your supply by frequent feeds and b) tank them up so they (hopefully) sleep a little longer at night.

I agree. Evenings were a bit of a torment for a while and of course this was when dh's friends would pop in to see the baby - all a bit grim. It will pass. Really it will.

MaMight Mon 05-Oct-09 18:13:48

Eat chocolate at 3pm.

And make sure you're remembering not to get dehydrated.

TrinityHasAVampireRhino Mon 05-Oct-09 18:16:33

cut out the formula and just feed feed feed even when you feel there is nothing there
also you must rest lots and eat lots

chocolate is gooooooooood

and drink like its going out of fashion seriously

Scootergrrrl Mon 05-Oct-09 18:18:24

Chocolate is VITAL! And putting your feet up...

WoTmania Mon 05-Oct-09 18:18:45

How old is your DC? Cluster feeding at this time is really normal. I usd to just go to bed at around 7 and lay there feeding and reading when they were little.

How old is your baby?
It is perfectly normal for them to cluster feed from teatime until way past bedtime, is a PITA but is all about establishing supply. Kellymom will have loads on cluster feeding, I would link but am in rush.
It does stop soon though, promise.

McSnail Mon 05-Oct-09 18:20:15

thanks for quick replies - it's so hard to keep feeding though when baby is thrashing about and yanking herself off the nipple. i guess i'll keep drinking and gritting teeth - sorry, no cap. letters as expressing while partner out with dog and baby...

McSnail Mon 05-Oct-09 18:20:46

oh, and baby is six weeks old..

Northernlurker Mon 05-Oct-09 18:22:33

Just to echo everybody else thia is normal but hard. It doesn't help either that this is often the only time partners see the baby and of course they think something is 'wrong' etc etc - it's very hard work.

Eat, drink and rest as much as you can and otherwise just hang in there because it will pass.

shonaspurtle Mon 05-Oct-09 18:22:37

When ds got really upset during the evening sometimes I stripped him down and did some baby massage type stuff. It would calm him a bit and then we'd have another go at feeding.

BadPoet Mon 05-Oct-09 18:23:41

I'd go with chocolate flapjack at 3pm (oats also being good for milk supply) and drink plenty. It is normal and it does pass but I bet you are sick of hearing that - totally knackering while it lasts. And cry if you feel like it!

Nettle tea also meant to be good - you can get nettle & fennel I think?

McSnail Mon 05-Oct-09 18:26:04

thanks everyone

jumble Mon 05-Oct-09 18:28:41

6 weeks is also common time for growth spurt, so it may just be that baby needs to suckle more to increase your milk supply, which if you are demand feeding should only take a day or too. Good luck and you're doing brilliantly!

6 weeks? Classic major growth spurt! It should start getting better within the next week, 6 weeks is about how long your supply takes to really get settled/established.

We have all been there and it seems like it will never end, but it really does.

Make it as easy on yourself as possible though, make food ready earlier in day if you can so you can eat easier at night, get in nibbles, drinks etc and settle on sofa.

Oh, and it is the law that BFing mothers get full remote access during growth spurt. very important thatgrin

CrankOfTheScrew Mon 05-Oct-09 21:25:57

DC is probably trying to increase your milk supply by feeding like a daemon, as above posts said 'cause he's having a growth spurt. FFing might confuse your boobs.

I recommend hobnobs, remote access, and tea on demand.grin

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now