Talk

Advanced search

10 month old just started biting and not feeding - help!!

(9 Posts)
Chulita Mon 05-Oct-09 13:42:37

DD's 10 months and is bf. She's been having a morning feed, evening and one in the middle of the night. I dropped the midnight feed about 4 days ago because I'm shattered - she still wakes up but I re-settle her without boob. Yesterday and today she's not wanted to feed, everytime I offer she clamps down on my nipple. She doesn't seem to want milk at all. The midnight feed has been her most convincing feed for months so I don't know if dropping that has done something - but I don't want to go onto formula for a couple of months. I don't really want to keep offering if she keeps biting because it freaking hurts but I'm not keen on expressing twice a day. She has been trying to drop her morning and night feeds for months but she still needs the milk, right?
Any ideas?

MrsMotMot Mon 05-Oct-09 15:31:20

Could it be a 'strike'? I think there's stuff on kellymom about strikes. As I recall it's meant to be very unusual for a baby to self-wean before 12 months.

Sympathies about the biting. My 11 month old (8+ feeds per 24 hour period, yawn) will bite if I am keen for him to feed and he's not, ie he is tired or I'm trying to squeeze in a quick feed before we go somewhere. Basically if he's not interested and just mucking about.

Hope someone has some ideas for you.

thesecondcoming Mon 05-Oct-09 15:56:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsMotMot Mon 05-Oct-09 16:05:59

Good point from thesecondcoming- if you had wanted to feed for a bit (or a lot) longer then you could take action on the 'strike' idea, or if you're quite happy to stop then just stop. Is she eating lots of solid foods?

Chulita Mon 05-Oct-09 17:03:29

She's eating lots of solids (except tonight she doesn't want tea). I've felt like I'm forcing myself on her for a while now but the biting is a recent thing. I'd hoped to bf til 12 months but I do feel like she doesn't want it. The thing with weaning at this age is they still need milk so thesecondcoming did you move onto formula for a while? 1st DC so I don't know how these things work!
I've heard of milk strikes, might have to google it

thesecondcoming Mon 05-Oct-09 22:32:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chulita Tue 06-Oct-09 08:50:30

MrsMotMot - I didn't notice the 8+ feeds a day shock shock Man alive you have a hungry boy!! Hope he settles down sometime to slightly fewer, that's crazy!

MrsMotMot Tue 06-Oct-09 13:57:29

Chulita I know... he is a big guy but really it's a bit ridiculous! I am trying to offer other things now to try and decrease this feeding frenzy!

Chulita Tue 06-Oct-09 14:08:20

I just tried feeding DD when she was pretty tired around 11:30 and she fed better than she has done for days. She didn't want it this morning but maybe the trick will be to offer when she's really tired out. I read something online about 'rebirthing' to get through a milk strike but that's a wee bit full on for me.
I'm a bit stubborn I'm afraid so when I decided that we would bf til at least 12 months that's what we'll do unless it becomes obvious that DD's had enough boob for her lifetime grin Mind you, she started crawling, cut two teeth, moved house and has been forced to drop her night feed so she might just be a bit shell-shocked!
MrsMotMot - DD fed 12-13 times a day until she was about 7 months old so you have my sympathies! (one reason it feels very odd for her not to want boob at all)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now