Talk

Advanced search

Why can't I clear this blocked duct? Should I be worried?

(16 Posts)
MaMight Sun 04-Oct-09 16:34:58

I have had a blocked duct for 48 hours now. I have been feeding ds in every conceivable position to try and clear it. Last night I fed all night only on the blocked side. I have tried warm flannels, a hot bath, drinking lots, going braless, and lots of massaging.

Why can't I shift it? I don't understand how such a massive amount of Dyson-like feeding from my hungry 18 month old hasn't shifted it.

Is it normal to have a blocked duct for so long? Usually they either clear or turn in to mastitis within 6 - 12 hours max, in my experience.

Could it be anything else?

It isn't agonisingly painful, just a bit red and bruised feeling. I can feel a hard lump where it is sore.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 04-Oct-09 16:40:26

Have you tried the underarm/rugby hold? Are you massaging towards the nipple while DS is feeding? Take some painkillers an hour beforehand so you can really have a good squeeze without hurting yourself unduly

MaMight Sun 04-Oct-09 17:44:21

Yes rugby hold.
Yes towards the nipple.
Yes while ds is feeding.

Have not thought of taking painkillers. Wish I could just shift the bugger!

Thank you for replying.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 04-Oct-09 17:49:21

Preferably ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory properties). Personally I'd drug myself up and then have a good old prod later on. Could be it's turned to mastitis already and needs antibiotics to shift it but have one more go first to save yourself the hell that is the GP surgery on a Monday.

Also try a hot bath with a glass of wine and chocolate. The latter two elements serve no purpose other than to make you feel better in case it doesn't help wink

Picante Sun 04-Oct-09 17:52:53

I got rid of mine with a hairbrush - an excellent tip I picked up from mumsnet!

whomovedmychocolate Sun 04-Oct-09 17:54:05

How exactly Picante? <boggles> do you have hairy norks? shock grin

MaMight Sun 04-Oct-09 18:02:34

Detailed hairbrush instructions please.

Picante Sun 04-Oct-09 18:58:02

LOL.

Just brush your boob towards the nipple - really hard. I think a comb works well too.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 04-Oct-09 20:04:59

Yikes!

Montifer Sun 04-Oct-09 20:09:09

I second the ibuprofen advice (top dose until blocked duct resolves - not on an empty stomach).
I think it's definitely the thing that has helped me in the past.
My last blocked duct lasted a few days and got me worried, you have my sympathy.

curlyredhead Sun 04-Oct-09 20:26:54

Have you checked your nipple? I have had 2 or 3 blocked ducts this time and every time it has been because of a 'bleb' / milk blister - ie one of the tiny holes in the nipple has had a bit of skin growing over. I followed the advice on Kellymom first time, ended up using a sterilised needle to clear it and it worked almost instantly so next times I went straight to that.

Will find the links and post in a min.

Coincidentally - each time was because one of my girls (twins) had given me a small bite and it was when I'd tried them on the no spill beakers where they have to bite down and suck at the same time - after having it happen 3 times now those have been binned and I have got used to drinks being poured everywhere!

Hope you can clear it soon, off to find kellymom links.

curlyredhead Sun 04-Oct-09 20:31:49

Here is the milk blister stuff: www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html and here is the page of links about problems, there's stuff on blocked ducts there: www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/index.html

hth!

boyraiser Sun 04-Oct-09 20:32:41

I second ibuprofen, and a comb might work too. Comb the affected area towards the nipple, preferably whilst feeding your LO. Cold compresses between feeds, warm moist ones for a few minutes prior to a feed.

curlyredhead Mon 05-Oct-09 18:38:27

How are you doing, MaMight?

KirstyAnn Mon 05-Oct-09 21:15:41

just a weird trick but can you feed so that the wee one massages close to the blocked duct with their chin?

I was on all fours over my DD yesterday to try it, as my blocked duct is at the top of my breast. My partner was supporting her head underneath me. MW suggested it and it seems to help!

You never know!! :D

MaMight Tue 06-Oct-09 05:26:09

Have taken all these tips on board. Thank you.

I am not entirely sure if it has cleared or not because now I have ANOTHER blocked duct, same boob, just near the first one.

I am trying to work out what is causing this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now