Talk

Advanced search

Feeding 5 mo - how often and consquences for sleep

(4 Posts)
whatalongday Sun 04-Oct-09 09:51:47

Hello

I know everyone wants little one to sleep through and with 19mo and 5 mo I could now do with some core hours where I can sleep. Baby is being BF but I am introducing formula slowly with a cup. She is waking at 3am almost on the clock and is not hungry and does go back down but then wakes 5-5.30am. I do feed at 11pm but she is not guzzling.

If I could cut out the 3am stuff that would help enormously.
At 5 months BF how many feeds a day are you doing? I have tried feeding now to an approximate schedule but that does not seem to be working - in the day should I encourage bigger feeds and bigger interval inbetween. I know lots of people say feed when they want but there is some sense in getting most feeds in during the day and minimising the nighttime stuff and I am feeling a little down with things sometimes getting on top of me so I really feel sleeping better would help my perspective on things. I try to respond to baby's needs but also need to consider things in the round. Any thoughts experience would be helpful.

whatalongday Sun 04-Oct-09 09:52:52

I should say that baby is waking at 3am then almost going back down - goes to sleep in your arms but then unsettled when put in cot and then stays unsettled until 5 am ish when hungry.

olivo Sun 04-Oct-09 12:56:55

could you drop the 11pm feed so she is hungry at 3am and then wouldnt be unsettled and wouldnt need the 5ish one?

whatalongday Sun 04-Oct-09 13:46:40

I have thought of that and have sometimes dropped that feed and then she will wake anywhere between 12.30am and 3am I guess the advice always is to feed at 11ish to top them up for the night but maybe I need to just start going to bed at 9pm and sleep through as long as I can and hope to get down to one nighttime feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now