Talk

Advanced search

I know a lot of talk about diet in a mother transferring to breastfed baby is tosh. But what if I want to boost ds's iron levels?

(4 Posts)
pooka Sat 03-Oct-09 17:49:28

I am intrigued as to whether there is anything I can do to boost ds's haemoglobin/iron levels. He is 4 weeks old, fully breastfed. We have had hideous scary week where he was diagnosed with Rhesus disease and ended up having a blood transfusion on Thursday. He had haemoglobin on 6.8 and it is only with hindsight that I have realised a) how lucky he is and b) how very very pale he was.

He has been given folic acid drops as well as a hefty quantity of blood. My diet since I had him has not been great. And since Tuesday when had out of blue call from paediatric consultant, has been worse than ever.

He is feeding really well, and has gone from 7 pounds 7 at birth to 9 pounds at 4 weeks. But I am interested to know if my taking iron/folic acid supplements would in some way give my breastmilk, and him, an extra boost.

Am fully expecting to be told no, but would be interested nonetheless. INcidentally would not be surprised if I had low iron levels myself- I did antenatally and have had history of borderline anaemia myself. So have started taking the pregaday iron/folic acid supplements again anyway. I have a follow up appointment on Monday about my own health because of the antibodies/raised levels of anti-d in my blood that sparked the whole investigation into ds2 that culminated in the transfusion and will ask for iron to be checked in the inevitable blood test.

pooka Sat 03-Oct-09 17:58:27

Just bumping before it disappears. wink

Sorry

CharCharGabor Sat 03-Oct-09 18:05:06

I've just had a brief read around, and whilst there appears to be only a small amount of information afaics so far, it all points to it not making a difference.

According to this page any supplementation would be for your benefit only as breastmilk levels of iron are fairly standard.

HTH a little, I know it's not much info. And hope you're doing ok, it all sounds very scary!

pooka Sat 03-Oct-09 18:14:32

Thanks so much for responding CCG.

And for the link - had forgotten about kellymom. Oh well - at least my diet of chocolate and cake can't be considered to have made things worse (I do exagerrate - have had some healthy food, honest wink)

Was a bit of a scary few days. DS2 much better almost as soon as he got the top up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now