Talk

Advanced search

Grrrrrrr - having a bad night may sleep on the sofa!

(5 Posts)
Bigmouthstrikesagain Sat 03-Oct-09 08:01:32

I am downstairs now because I know dd won't go to sleep if I am around. We co-sleep for ease of feeding (and because it is nice nmost of the time) but tonight I am considering my first night away from her in 11 1/2 months. She has been feeding then playing and babbbling for the last 3 hrs and if have become increasingly irritated. Asked dh to take over he got her to sleep then left her she woke and b4 he could get back she fell off bed! She us ok and I fed her again but again she is fussing and feeding but not sleeping so I have stormed downstairs! But fearful she will only stay asleep if I stay away.

I am coming to the end of my patience with this process of feeding to sleep but won't use CC and she is too young for her own room and rapid return. So I'd go to the HV butshe wld just be telling me I have created a 'rod for my own back' so I wld ignore her advice on principle.

It is now morning. I did return to my bed last night and listened to dh struggling to get dd to sleep again for what felt like hours b4 feeding her then she finally fell asleep on my arm (to keep me close).

She is awke and latched on again now it is only this past 7 days that I have had problems withp

Bigmouthstrikesagain Sat 03-Oct-09 08:09:51

Sorry that is a lot of sleep deprived babble!

I just don't know if I can keepfeeding if dd2 keeps acting as she did last night. There was constant jerky head Movements while latched on and rough twiddles with nipple etc. I have had such a calm and peaceful bf relationship with her up to now that it is a shock.

Not sure what advice I need really but I am so tired and fed up. I know only I can resolve this but I hate feeling so negative about bf as I have been doing it for over 5 years so thought I could deal with most things by now!

BertieBotts Sat 03-Oct-09 10:12:49

Oh I am sorry, I have no useful advice, just wanted to say I feel your pain!! Last night from 12.30 to 3.30 DS alternately fed, rolled over, cried, fed, rolled over, cried. Repeat for 2 hours at which point I got fed up and went downstairs to find the teething powders in the hope that would calm him down enough to go to sleep (though I don't think it was teething, I think he wanted to get up and play)

Couldn't find the stupid box of the stuff as DP had tidied them away somewhere ridiculous, had to go back up and ask him where they were (DS had at this point removed himself from bed and was standing at the top stairgate shouting "Ma Ma Ma Ma BA BA BA BA") So I eventually located one, tried to give it to him without spilling it everywhere and laid down to sleep again, it still took until about 3.30 to get him to sleep and my nipples were so sore from overuse! I even experienced pain on letdown at some point and I have never had that before, it was a bit strange.

Anyway after my mammoth tale, my only (probably not very good) advice is have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution and tried the Pantley Pull Off?

And also to say could it be teething or just a phase, is she learning a new skill - to walk or something like that?

BertieBotts Sat 03-Oct-09 10:16:46

Oh also wanted to add quickly - if DS is wanting to play at night and has woken up sufficiently to play by himself I tend to wrap myself in the duvet so he can't come and help himself to milk for one suck 83476 times, and just keep half an eye open to sort of supervise him. I taught him to get down from our bed safely and our room is pretty babyproof, and he tends to play by himself for about half an hour or so and then decide he has had enough and come back to me for a proper feed (ie lying down in position rather than looming over me grinning, as he will sometimes have only about 2 sucks and then roll over) and then goes back to sleep no problem.

Bigmouthstrikesagain Sat 03-Oct-09 12:57:06

Thank you for replying bertie your ds does sound like my dd! She is lovely with it but I think I just got so frustrated I lost it last night. I do need to teach her how to get off bed safely as she isn't walking yet but she can go up steps but not down iykwim.

I think I will reevaluate her bedtime routine and see if we sort things out for the next six months or so once she is 18 months I will start moving her to a bed in her own room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now