Talk

Advanced search

Interesting article by anadian mother on her experiences breastfeeding in Mongolia

(12 Posts)

Chiefly general attitudes to breastfeeding, breastfeeding in public and natural term breastfeeding -- here.

differentWitch Fri 02-Oct-09 18:09:45

what a lovely article!

millimummy Fri 02-Oct-09 19:58:37

thank you for this

Beveridge Fri 02-Oct-09 19:59:27

That was very enlightening! Such a shame we can't be even half as relaxed about bf in the West(bit shockabout the breastmilk disappearing out of the fridge though!grin)

mrsjuan Fri 02-Oct-09 20:15:45

That was really interesting - thank you. I want a little murmuring package grin.

A couple of practicalities made me wonder though: it says they were rarely changed - don't they get sore bottoms? Also - they are never burped. I know wind is a bit of a contentious issue but I also know that if I didn't at least sit my daughter up for a bit after a feed she would either wake up in pain about 10 minutes later or sick up half the feed so how do the packages get away with it?

I love reading anthropological stuff like that though - if anyone could recommend any good books with similar articles I'd be really grateful.

Perhaps they get carried fairly upright? Or possibly if they are feeding all the time with little snacky feeds it's less of an issue because there's never a great big feed hitting their stomach all at once?

I did wonder about the bottoms, though. Perhaps there is some miraculous Mongolian barrier cream that gets slathered on when they are changed?

(Anadia is, of course, a tiny and little-known nation in North America, quite close to Canada)

LeonieSoSleepy Fri 02-Oct-09 22:53:22

Message withdrawn

LaDiDaDi Fri 02-Oct-09 23:00:26

Really good article. Thankyou.

tearinghairout Fri 02-Oct-09 23:00:47

Mrjuan, read (can't remember what it's called)by Jean Liedloff. She went with an Italian expedition into the Amazonian jungle looking for diamonds or something, & was amazed at the 'primitive' (ie instinctive) way they raise their children - it's an incredibly interesting book & influenced me a lot: when I struggled with my dtwins I would think 'What would my cave-woman ancestors do?' and it always helped - eg. would they have put a newborn into its own little cave next door? Or kept it close to their bodies at all times? Easy!

tearinghairout Fri 02-Oct-09 23:02:52

Have googled it - it's called The Continuum Concept. A brilliant book.

Beveridge Fri 02-Oct-09 23:06:05

I don't need to burp DD at night when I feed her lying down on our sides. Sometimes she has a big rift when I pick her up in the morning though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now