Talk

Advanced search

Domperidone users

(14 Posts)
jasperc163 Fri 02-Oct-09 11:30:38

How long did you need to stay on it? Was it as long as you bf or did you stop after a while and find milk production stayed ok?

thanks

thaliablogs Fri 02-Oct-09 11:35:08

I stayed on for the whole time I was feeding DD, and started to ramp down when I was ready to wean. I found no drop in supply until I got down to 80mg/day, then a drop, then not much of a drop again til I got below 40mg. I reckon given that I could have ramped down a bit earlier at least from my 120 a day to 80 without much ill effect.

This time I'm on 160 because I was so desparate to get going when DS was born, have yet to have the courage to ramp down.

jasperc163 Fri 02-Oct-09 14:42:49

thanks - was hoping i could come off it but maybe not :-(

anyone else?

thaliablogs Sat 03-Oct-09 10:40:44

Is it making you feel grotty? It gives me headaches initially but after that I don't really notice it. Since all our supply issues are very individual, I'd say if it's bothering you to try dropping 10mg a week and see how it goes - ie if you're on 120mg/day now (12 pills) go down to 11 a day for a week, and see how it goes. If you get a drop in supply, it's easy to go back up, if you don't that's great, and try 10 next week. That's how I dropped down w DD and like I said, didn't see much of a drop until I got below 80mg. But you may be different. Jack Newman says many women can wean themselves off completely, particularly if you do other things to ensure supply like feeding frequency, pumping etc.

redtabby Sat 03-Oct-09 12:50:41

I am on 9 pills a day (3 three times a day), I tried going to 4 three times a day but my mouth got terribly dry. I don't have the courage to drop down any further as baby is very small and not gaining that well, so need to keep up supply as much as possible (also doing all the other things as well). I think I will probably stay on it as long as I bf.

McSnail Sat 03-Oct-09 14:24:08

I read that as 'Dom Perignon Users'.

Sidge Sat 03-Oct-09 14:34:11

I took it until I stopped, but I wasn't breastfeeding (exclusively expressing for 100% tube fed baby) so needed it to maintain my supply.

Sorry probably no help at all!

bronze Sat 03-Oct-09 14:37:02

I stopped a couple of months after we got dd home and I had established breastfeeding properly.

Arsed Sat 03-Oct-09 14:43:42

I stopped as soon as ds was discharged and never had any problems with supply. I had been reducing the dose for a week though, I was down to 4 a day and then just stopped. Still bf now( 9mo)

You shouldn't really need domp when your actually breastfeeding all the time.

thaliablogs Sat 03-Oct-09 19:24:14

Arsed, I am breastfeeding all the time and still need Dom. The need for Dom depends on what the supply issue is, mine stems from low glandular tissue and despite 'normal' prolactin levels my boobs simply don't respond to all the normal signals. But with Dom and therefore presumably overdosing on prolactin I am managing to keep my DS exclusively on breastmilk, even though some of it comes from supplementing. I had the same experience w dd.

jasperc163 Sat 03-Oct-09 19:50:12

wish it was dom perignon :-)

thanks for replies. Thaliblogs - no side effects, just felt i had been on it too long - about 4 months now. But it may be that i need to carry on . Am about to go back to work 3 days a week anyway so i dont know to what extent my supply is going to suffer anyway. I am taking 2 tablets 4x a day.

LeonieSoSleepy Sat 03-Oct-09 19:54:38

Message withdrawn

LeonieSoSleepy Sat 03-Oct-09 19:55:13

Message withdrawn

Arsed Sat 03-Oct-09 20:31:31

Sorry Thalia, My mistake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now