Talk

Advanced search

Should I give my 3month old a dummy?

(9 Posts)
SuperAmoo Thu 01-Oct-09 15:43:27

Hello, am I alone in having a baby that can't get herself to sleep without a boob in her mouth? She never spits it out and as soon as I wrench it from her, she wakes up and screams blue murder until she gets it back. She is attempting to suck her fingers but doesn't really have the hang of it. Should I relent and give her a dummy? I don't want to because her 3 year old sister is still addicted to her dummy and I wanted to get rid of it soon. She'll just nick the baby's dummy! Baby is also now off the charts growth wise (18lbs at 3 months) - I thought you couldn't overfeed a BF baby? Perhaps a dummy would help her to feed less? She feeds every two hours (officially).

clumsymum Thu 01-Oct-09 15:44:47

Deffo, try a dummy for the sake of your sanity.

BustleInYourHedgerow Thu 01-Oct-09 16:02:55

Go for it, also its easier to take it off them when thaey are younger?
Gave Ds a dummy from about 2 weeks until 8 weeks saved my sanity! He never left the boob before that! Haven't given him it in two weeks now, just forgot to give it to him one night and he sleeps without it now

wellbalanced Thu 01-Oct-09 16:38:27

My DS has dummy in day but not for bedtime sleeps.
Could you settle with dummy then take out when asleep...

fruitpastille Thu 01-Oct-09 21:49:25

Have you tried it? My DD wouldn't take to it despite me trying it numerous times from the first week. I have the same problem that she will suck all evening before finally giving in to sleep. She is also similar in that she tries to suck fingers but it doesn't really work. Anyway what I mean is that you might spend ages trying to make the decision only for it not to work anyway! I am generally pro dummies - my DS had one for the first 6 months and it was life/nipple saver. He gave it up himself which was perfect.

QwertyQueen Thu 01-Oct-09 21:58:03

I "held out" for 4 months before I gave my DS one - then realised how daft I was and wished I had given him on esooner - really calmed him
good luck

TamTam29 Thu 01-Oct-09 22:14:56

Maybe its time that DS1 gives "her" dummies to her little sister?

DS1 (2yrs) is only allowed his at bed & naptimes. He occasionally tries to have a crafty suck of DS2's (4 months) but they are different style & size, so they usually come straight back out again!

We are planning for DS1 to give his dummys to Father Christmas - we will see!

BertieBotts Fri 02-Oct-09 09:44:00

I was just going to suggest what TamTam said - could you persuade your DD1 to give up her dummies to the dummy fairy to be "recycled" into little baby sized ones for her baby sister (emphasising how only little babies have dummies and she is such a big generous girl now) Try going for a different make as well with different shaped teats - there are more than one orthodontic style if you don't like the cherry type ones.

You could get a small bribe prize for your DD1 as well from her sister to say thanks for the dummies!

SuperAmoo Fri 02-Oct-09 10:07:41

Thanks everyone - fruitpastille you may be right - I did try her with a dummy when she was four weeks old and she just gagged so I may be 'holding out' for nothing! I am going to be brave and buy some and see what her reaction is. If she doesn't want one anyway then I'm wasting my time fretting about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now