Talk

Advanced search

OMG I have green pus coming out of my nipple :(

(15 Posts)
Restrainedrabbit Thu 01-Oct-09 15:36:31

I have mastitis and am on antibiotics (came on last night) have been massaging my breast and green pus is coming out of it. What should I do?

GruffaloMama Thu 01-Oct-09 16:43:23

Sorry - don't know but bumping for you for someone who does.

Big hug, though.

uberalice Thu 01-Oct-09 16:45:35

Sorry, don't know the answer, but my general reaction is "better out than in". I'd keep doing what you're doing. Hope you feel better soon.

Guad Thu 01-Oct-09 16:49:36

Poor you, I had repeated mastitis with ds2. It's grim.

I think pus means you may have an abcess. Can you ring your doctor back?

I remember the le leche league helpline telling me the most important thing was to keep feeding even through infections but I'm not sure if you should express the pus.

Guad Thu 01-Oct-09 16:50:12

I think abscesses are excruciating though, are you in a lot more pain?

Restrainedrabbit Thu 01-Oct-09 17:31:09

No the pain is significantly better than last night, hot/cold compresses have helped plus blanched cabbage leaves.

Dogwouldlikeanotherpup Thu 01-Oct-09 17:32:57

Message withdrawn

Restrainedrabbit Thu 01-Oct-09 17:36:58

No DS is 11mths grin so definitely pus and not the yellow colostrum, thank you for asking though

Dogwouldlikeanotherpup Thu 01-Oct-09 17:39:43

Message withdrawn

moosemama Thu 01-Oct-09 18:01:20

Dsis had this with mastitis. Her gp told her to just feed through it. Her baby was still quite happy to nurse and the mastitis cleared up fine.

Kellymom here says:

Mastitis

Side effects may be the same as for a plugged duct, plus:

* Expressed milk may look lumpy, clumpy, "gelatin-like" or stringy. This milk is fine for baby, but some moms prefer to strain the "lumps" out.
* Milk may take on a saltier taste due to increased sodium and chloride content - some babies may resist/refuse the breast due to this temporary change.
* Milk may occasionally contain mucus, pus or blood.

Hth. smile

Guad Thu 01-Oct-09 18:12:51

Actually I had what looked like pus come out though I don't remember it being particularly green, from the blocked part I assume.

If you are in less pain then you must be on the mend, an abcess would be unbearable. Hope you feel better soon and remember to rest! My worst episodes were around the year mark as well iirc.

Restrainedrabbit Thu 01-Oct-09 20:24:56

I think I am run down hence this latest bout, only had one episode in 15mths of BF DD with DS I have had several - although this is by far the worse

I am of for a shower, hoping that will help.

Guad Thu 01-Oct-09 22:03:53

Poor you. It is horrible.

I never had it until my third and then I got it repeatedly until one time was worse than any other, terrible fever and delirium and then I didn't get it again.

I hope this is your last bout. Rest and take care of yourself. smile

Lexilicious Fri 02-Oct-09 10:09:08

I have mastitis too atm, pus/blood/milk coming out a wound in the side. I asked doc what about continuing to bf as nipple appears to be producing milk only. They said you wouldn't want the baby to drink the mastitis bugs but otherwise ok, especially as the sample of pus gunk they sent to the lab hadn't grown a culture (antibiotics must be doing their job). So, if no ill effects in baby so far, I'd say don't worry.

Restrainedrabbit Fri 02-Oct-09 13:09:19

Lexi that sounds grim Poor you. According to all the reputable websites it is perefectly safe for babies to continue feeding as any bugs get killed by the stomach acids. THink its different if you have an abccess thoug.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now