Talk

Advanced search

milk just came in- lumps in armpits?

(5 Posts)
MrsKitty Wed 30-Sep-09 09:52:59

Hi,

DD born on saturday, milk came in yesterday and have been horribly engorged ever since (don't remember getting this with DS) I've also got quite hard lumps in each armpit which don't want to go away - is this a blockage? am i at risk of Mastitis? What should I do?

Also have sore nipples - got lansinoh and am experimenting with different holds/positions but everything I try at least starts with gasp of pain from me - she doesn't seem to want to take a full mouthful (breasts are rather large & nipples face the floor which is not helpfulblush. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Am going to try to get to local support group this pm.

StrawberrySam Wed 30-Sep-09 14:55:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SofaKingSpecial Wed 30-Sep-09 19:18:22

A brilliant HCA in hospital showed me how to massage my boobs.

The trick is to use something like soap / shower gel or olive oil so that there is no friction when you massage towards the nipple. I used oil as the soap / gel dried my skin out.

I think she also said not to use your fingers but use your fist so there is less friction.

sympathise with your big boobs. My nipples also point down and to the side - so glamorous. I had to use rugby hold to feed DS when he was little until we got used to feeding. Once he was a bit better and his latch improved at about 13 weeks we could do cross cradle.

HTH

MrsKitty Thu 01-Oct-09 10:54:22

Thanks for advice- have been massaging but seems to just keep getting bigger -will try roping in DH to help!

SofaKingSpecial (Great name BTW) I've been doing mostly either rugby ball or DD supported on a v cushion whilst I support my boob...Neither are particularly 'portable' holds though so hoping things improve quickly as I need to be out & about and able to move aroound with DS (2.5)... Never progressed much off the pillow with him though and he was fed for a year! I always look on with envy at mums who manage cradle hold effortlessly without having to hitch up and shove boob in to their babys mouth! envy

Still very engorged today but have expressed off some milk before and after feeds...Not making a huge amount of difference though!

May67 Thu 01-Oct-09 12:08:24

I had really large lumps in my armpits when my milk came in- midwife encouraged massage and expressing. They disappeared after a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now