Talk

Advanced search

Giving expressed milk and milk supply

(4 Posts)
shirleycat1 Tue 29-Sep-09 10:40:01

How much does it affect your supply if you miss a breast feed and someone else gives expressed milk instead. I would imagine just once in a while it's fine but I wasn't sure and what if I needed to do it twice in a week.

I'm just asking because I give a dream feed at 10.30 but I am so tired and could really do with an early night, so I wanted dp to give it tonight. But also on Friday I am planning on going out for a few drinks and so he'll definitely be giving expressed milk then, but I don't want my supply to be affected and not have enough milk to feed in the evening.

Am I being overly cautious? How many feeds do you need to miss before your supply is affected?

Thanks in advance for responses...

MrsBadger Tue 29-Sep-09 11:04:43

how old is the baby?

after a couple of months your supply is probably robust enough to cope, but you may still find you wake up engorged in the night.

shirleycat1 Tue 29-Sep-09 11:16:09

Thank you.

He's 19 weeks. But he's still waking for a feed between 3 and 4 so that should sort out engorgement. Is there anywhere I can read information on this?

MrsBadger Tue 29-Sep-09 11:25:43

www.kellymom.com is always a good place to start for bf information.

But at 19wks skipping two feeds in a week shouldn;t affect your supply at all - and if it does ds will let you know by having a feedathon to get it back up again. They really are quite clever...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now