Talk

Advanced search

3 day old baby latched on for majority of 5 hrs

(9 Posts)
Snowfalls108 Mon 28-Sep-09 22:53:18

Hello - just wondering anyone has and advice. Baby born on Friday evening by emergency CS after 24hr labour since then has been latching on well and colostrum being produced. Been feeding well during the day, no so much at night, ie 12 hr gap last night. First visit from community midwife this morning @ which baby had lost 13% of birth weight (was c.9.5lbs) has fed well today - think still colostrum - started BF this evening at 5:30 and have been at it ever since. Baby detached himself every c.45 mins, but after c.5mins will start crying and make b-line for breast. Questions, has anyone experienced this length of feeding? Could it be that he is not getting any milk (when i hand express milk does come out)? Any tips to help him sleep? Thank you

bumpybecky Mon 28-Sep-09 23:06:55

congratulations on your new baby

I'm no expert, but have bf all four of mine. Have you found Kellymom yet? it's an excellent bfing resource, there are pages on there about most things If you check this page..

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/index.html

and look up growth spurts and cluster feeding, maybe that'll help?

I wouldn't worry at this stage about lack of milk. I'm guessing that your proper milk will be here tomorrow due to the feedathon you've had this evening

Just carry on letting him feed as and when he wants. Please make sure you're eating and drinking plenty, even if that means you have to hand the baby to someone else for a while so you can sort yourself out

bumpybecky Mon 28-Sep-09 23:07:40

argh!

trying again with link!

blueshoes Mon 28-Sep-09 23:10:32

Hi Snowfalls, well done on the bf-ing {smile].

When you say your baby is latched on, is he actively feeding ie jaws moving, or has fallen asleep at the breast?

I used to think my dd was feeding because when I detached her she would cry. But actually she just wanted the boob in her mouth when she slept (like the way other babies use dummies, only thing she would not take a dummy!). I used to 'feed' her for hours too.

Snowfalls108 Tue 29-Sep-09 00:12:02

blueshoes - thanks for your post - I believe he is feeding as i can see him 'gulping' in his thought - although i can see that he uses it as a dummy for short periods at the end of feeds.

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 00:27:40

My DD was the same. My advice (as long as your nipples arent too sore) is to just enjoy it. Make sure you are set up comfortable, on the bed or sofa then settle in for the day. Nothing nicer than spending the day with a newborn snuggled into you feeding imo.

Congrats on your baby

SardineQueen Tue 29-Sep-09 00:34:52

Buy some lansinoh, if you don't already have some smile

Sounds pretty normal to me. It is tough and full on to start with, but it does settle down fairly quickly. Get some good DVDs and sit back!

Congrats on your new baby smile

piprabbit Tue 29-Sep-09 00:44:57

Sounds like both of mine.
I remember sitting for what seemed like months with a baby either attached to my boob, or sleeping on my shoulder.

I do miss it now they don't need me anymore sad (well not for the feeding and napping anyway).

Longtalljosie Tue 29-Sep-09 19:40:45

Mind did this sort of thing - the midwife said it was the baby's way of stimulating your supply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now