Talk

Advanced search

Starting breastfeeding after bottlefeeding for nearly 4 weeks - success stories / advice please

(13 Posts)
mrsmeeps Mon 28-Sep-09 22:08:15

A close friend of mine had her first baby nearly 4 weeks ago, after an induction at 38 weeks that resulted in an emergency c section. Baby was 5lb 4oz. After distressing 4 days of struggling to breastfeed - baby latched on but wouldn't suck (she supplemented with formula at advice of midwives)- my friend decided to entirely formula feed to save her sanity and ensure that her tiny baby got some food.

Now, nearly 4 weeks down the line, she has decided that she wants to try and mix feed - she has spoken to a NCT breastfeeding consultant who has recommended that she express 5 times during the day and once at night to build her milk supply. She has started doing this with a tomee tippee hand pump, and reports that she has managed a couple of beads of milk each time so far.

I am currently breastfeeding my 7mo DD and can offer support based on my experience, but would really love to be able to forward a link to this thread to her that has more relevent experience and useful advice from you knowledgeable and lovely ladies out there, that will help her to perservere and not give up hope that she can do this.

Thanks in advance

moanyhole Mon 28-Sep-09 22:46:28

kudos to your friend smile. firstly she needs to express way more often, 8-12 times in 24 hours till she has built a decent supply. secondly things like domperidone tablets, fenugreek tablets, drinking plenty, porridge etc will help. thirdly a handpump will not help her to build a supply. she needs a good double electric pump- the medela pump in style advanced or the ameda lactina are both perfect.Lastly has she tried to latch her baby?- the baby wont get much to begin with but even if the baby only latches for a few seconds to begin with this will hugely help with her supply, and her baby could be one of those that will take to the breast quite easily.Even skin to skin contact will help her supply.

i started out with formula with ds and switched to full time expressing for 19 months and ditched the formula quite quickly. he didnt breastfeed directly, but your friend might be luckier in that department.

hope that helps.

moanyhole Mon 28-Sep-09 22:48:11

oh and meant to say that it is entirely possible to do. hard work but well worth it.x

PacificDogwood Mon 28-Sep-09 22:51:21

Kellymom to the rescue!

It can be done but is hard work and takes lots of dedication. I would also recommend that she takes medication to help milk production along such as Domperidone, usually at much higher doses than used usually.

Good luck to your friend, I hope she succeeds. You are a good friend smile.

foxytocin Mon 28-Sep-09 22:54:45

5 times a day does not sound like enough. i believe she needs at least 8 times a day. a double pump may be easier and more durable too. domperidone may be prescribed to give her body a jump start. was she advised to give loads and loads of skin to skin in order to get her baby to rediscover breastfeeding?

I think it can be done but I am no expert. I do know that it will take a lot of determination and a lot of support from family and one to one from a bf counsellor.

maybe she can phone another bf line in the morning too?

StrikeUpTheBand Mon 28-Sep-09 22:59:20

I would agree with previous posters - the hand pump isn't going to be sufficient but a good double pump such as Ameda lactaline will be better (double pumping is not only faster but better for your supply too).

Just a suggestion, but has she thought of the Medela SNS (supplemental nursing system)? It's a little bottle that hangs around your neck upside down with thin tubes coming out which you can attach to your nipple in a certain way, so that when the baby latches on they can get the milk from that too. She can put breastmilk or formula in the bottle and it encourages the milk supply and also rewards the baby a little more for breastfeeding while the supply is low. Woth a look into it perhaps?

Caz10 Mon 28-Sep-09 23:02:43

Good for her, she must be very determined! Could she get to actually see a BF consultant? Baby Cafe, BfN Supporters Group, or maybe check at her maternity unit, mine had a lactation consultant who I saw weekly for about 6 weeks re various other problems - real life, real person support essential I would say. Tell her good luck from MN! Could you get her on here in fact?

foxytocin Mon 28-Sep-09 23:05:51

SNS worked for my friend who brought a baby from scbu and was mostly ff. he is still feeding at 2+.

I have a video about combining hand expression with double pumping in order to maximise milk removal. (Ultimately it is milk removal that tells your body to make more milk so the more you remove, the more you make.) will try to find it.

foxytocin Mon 28-Sep-09 23:09:49

here it is

mrsmeeps Tue 29-Sep-09 12:47:05

Afternoon! Had an early night last night - thanks for your help and advice so far. I will forward this thread to my friend now. Hopefully will give her some additional ideas and motivation.

katielf Mon 26-Oct-09 21:57:24

Hi everyone! I just wanted to post a big thank you to everyone for thier great advice and sucess stories. The info has been a god send and great news, I have finally managed to get ds to latch on and we are getting a small amount of milk now at each feed!!

Mrsmeeps forwarded the thread onto me and as a result I joined mums net!

Thank you again x x x

thaliablogs Tue 27-Oct-09 08:12:48

that's great news, congratulations!

Caro1302 Tue 27-Oct-09 18:49:46

Well done you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now