Talk

Advanced search

Bfed DD's doctor tells me I am an idiot for not giving her vit.D. Am I?

(19 Posts)
winnybella Mon 28-Sep-09 21:56:47

Well, she didn't exactly use this word, but very strongly implied it.DD is 7 months old and bf as well as on 3 meals a day. I gave her vitamin D drops for a first month and a half and sort of stopped as wasn't convinced it's really necessary. She goes out for at least 3 hrs a day, and as we usually go in the morning/ late afternoon, I usually don't bother with sun block (except when v.strong sun in the summer, beach etc.). So, in theory she should be getting enough sunshine even here in gloomy Paris.WHO guidelines say we need about 30 min a day.
Doctor said she will get rickets. I am considering giving the drops in winter as we don't get much sunshine here, but in summer?!
Am I a horrible mother?

If you and/or your DD are dark-skinned, I might argue in favour of the drops. But otherwise I doubt they are necessary.

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Mon 28-Sep-09 22:00:34

I think you need a new doctor. Unless this is a wind up.

GruffaloMama Mon 28-Sep-09 22:01:25

I think your dd's skin colour is also relevant. My DS (and I) have sickly pale and interesting celtic skin which make it easy to absorb vit d. So we never bothered. I think if you have darker skin it can be more difficult.

colditz Mon 28-Sep-09 22:01:44

You are in france, they are ridiculously obsessive about medicating themselves - I'm only shocked he hasn't advised you put it up the poor child's bottom.

winnybella Mon 28-Sep-09 22:06:37

No, absolutely not a wind up. As I said, she didn't call me an idiot per se but said it is a stupid thing to do and generally made me feel v. guilty and inadequate. I posted before so promise not a wind up.
We're light skinned, dd spends tons of time outside and I feel rather strongly against all the supplements etc. unless of course they are really needed.
Maybe it'd they've got different policy in France that in UK? Doctor is also quite old-school.
I feel that I am right about this, but some doubts still linger and just wanted to knowwhat the consensus was here on MN.
Thank you for your replies.

liath Mon 28-Sep-09 22:07:01

<snort> @ colditz.

Your child is highly unlikely to get rickets. Sounds like you've looked into this all pretty carefully TBH.

mybabywakesupsinging Mon 28-Sep-09 22:08:18

We probably all could do with a bit more vit D...I also have pale and (very) interesting dc and they had breastmilk till at least 1, without vitamin drops (spat them out). Their legs appear straight enough.
There was a case in the NEJM some months ago of rickets in an exclusively breast-fed dark skinned child at ?about 9 months - child took no vitamins or solid foods.

winnybella Mon 28-Sep-09 22:08:26

grin colditz
yes their obsession with suppositories is well-known!

HerBeatitude Mon 28-Sep-09 22:09:50

oh, doctor is French

All clear now.

grin

madlentileater Mon 28-Sep-09 22:15:53

I don't think they really believe in breast milk there do they?

winnybella Mon 28-Sep-09 22:16:47

Right, you're all confirming my sentiments about this issue. She also told me, possibly half-jokingly hmm not to come back if I don't start giving her the drops. The other doctor at the office is v.nice, guess will just stop seeing that old bag. Thank you all!

winnybella Mon 28-Sep-09 22:18:40

madlentileater no, they are really supportive of bf here, but it's true what colditz said, there's a pharmacy on every corner.

HerBeatitude Mon 28-Sep-09 22:24:15

Have just had image of French waiters being helped by doctors to stuff croissants up customers' bottoms. They just love that method of medicating, don't they?

I probably ought to go to bed now, shouldn't I?

madlentileater Mon 28-Sep-09 22:25:40

that's good.
was sure I'd heard some french doc saying it would be barbaric to expect women to bf after about 6 wks, so v good if that;s not your exp.

winnybella Mon 28-Sep-09 22:26:07

grin @ herbeatitude it is a very funny country in some ways, no doubt

moondog Mon 28-Sep-09 23:36:44

French doctors are full of shit, they really are.
My sister (long time resident) once went to see one with a bad cough and cmae back with a bloody nebuliser.

Loons.

DitaVonCheese Mon 28-Sep-09 23:37:38

Completely O/T but my parents have just come back from France with three packs of paracetamol suppositories for DD as it has been impossible to get them here and she used to vomit Calpol etc back up - so they have their uses grin

thumbwitch Mon 28-Sep-09 23:43:04

I would think your DD is fine as far as Vit D is concerned - what an odd doc you have there. have a look at this webpage on the matter and if necessary, print it out and take it to your doc.
Obviously she has the option to say "Pouf! Bah! that is Canada, not France" and other such dismissives but I think it's pretty pertinent myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now