Talk

Advanced search

HELP ME, PLEASE! Is this reflux?

(7 Posts)
ElieRM Mon 28-Sep-09 20:51:10

DD is 16 weeks old. Has never been a great feeder; bottle fed from 2 weeks.
We seemed to have turned a corner recently with her taking 5 oz botttles in 2/3 'sessions' every two-three hours over the day.
She's stopped night feeds (her choice), has a last feed at about 10 but then refuses a feed in the morning at 7ish.
She will not take more than 2 oz unless very, very sleepy and hasen't done for past week.
She screams when you offer her a bottle, pulls off and becomes hysterical very quickly. Sometimes sicky, but no more than possetting. However, if fed when half asleep will do quite well. But she also refuses to sleep because she's hungry. Have tried increasing time between feeds, offering less milk and feeding in various posistions.
We are spending up to two hours on a bottle, often for her to only take 2 oz.
Please help me.

mrsjuan Mon 28-Sep-09 20:56:13

Doesn't really sound like reflux unless she is arching her back during and after a feed.
I am fairly new to the bottle feeding world but have you tried different teat sizes? She sounds like she's hungry but struggling to get at the milk - maybe a bigger hole will help?

nauseous Mon 28-Sep-09 20:58:17

Sounds awful but no advice, sorry. Bumping for you, Nx

ElieRM Mon 28-Sep-09 21:00:24

We tried that mrsj, but she choked on next teat size up, and ended up spitting milk out because it was too fast for her. Wish avent did a teat size between 1 and 3 months because I think the 1 month is too slow but the three month too fast.

mrsjuan Mon 28-Sep-09 21:15:02

Oh dear - it does sound terrible. Is she gaining weight ok? weeing, pooing etc. because that does sound like a very small amount to be taking. I think you need to speak to your doctor or health visitor.

In the meantime maybe try a different bottle to the avent?

I know what it's like to have a fussy feeder and it really makes you worry about them doesn't it? sad

mrsjuan Mon 28-Sep-09 22:24:38

Hope you are ok Elie. I've been thinking about you and have come up with a few other suggestions:

Is something in her mouth hurting her and this is why she's having trouble feeding? Have you checked for thrush (white patches on her tongue or gums) or might she be teething?

If I were you I would reinstate the night feeds as she is feeding better when sleepy. This might give her a bit more energy to work for the milk during the day.

You say you've tried increasing the time between feeds. I would decrease it if possible and go for a little but often approach (although I appreciate that if it's taking her 2 hours to finish a bottle then this could be tricky wink

I'm sure some experts will be around with better / proper advice soon. Take care x

ElieRM Thu 01-Oct-09 21:54:49

Thank you so much for your kind words and suggestions mrsj.
We think she may be teething. Have been giving her Bonjela and that seems to be helping a little. Have managed to get her to take some milk at ngiht as well.
She's also just started nursey two days a week, and feeds much better there then she does at home. Her feeding is still poor, however.
HV coming rounds tomorrow to check her over, but am still concerned.
Failed to BF, and have PND (two are possibly related) so have always had a tricky relationship with feeding her. Wonder if she pick up on this? Have tried not to externalize feelings, but wonder if this may be a factor IYSWIM?
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now