Talk

Advanced search

Anyone tried gentian violet to cure thrush?

(12 Posts)
Picante Mon 28-Sep-09 18:50:07

?

(sorry for all my thrush threads today... I'm in agony)

EldonAve Mon 28-Sep-09 20:23:00

nope
my MIL said it works but I couldn't face the purple stains

I used Grapefruit Seed Extract tablets (they also do a liquid) and that worked for me

logrrl Mon 28-Sep-09 21:37:44

Hi
I read somewhere that it may be carcinogenic so not licensed in this country, sorry I have no reference, and it may be speculation rather than fact. My Mum used it with my brother about 25 years ago. I still remember his wee purple mouth.

Like EldonAve I also used the grapefruit seed extract tabs and solution painted onto my nipples (kept in the fridge it was lovely for the burning). My understanding is that it may be placebo, or at best have mild antimicrobial properties, rather than it being anything magical. Worked for me. who knows why...

Caro1302 Mon 28-Sep-09 22:15:58

We're doing GV at the moment- this is day 5 of doing it and I think I'll make it the last. DD's tongue looks better, but then it's hard to tell because it's bright purple.

It's not as messy as I thought, and I've got the stained sheets clean with a 60C wash. I hate seeing DD's purple mouth but her lips and face are usually pretty clear by the end of the day.

For me it's a last resort after trying for 5 weeks to get rid of thrush. We've had 2 courses of Nystatin, plus Daktarin gel and the cream for me... nothing has worked. So, along with the GV I've been taking acidophilus capsules, grapefruit seed extract capsules and echinacea tea.

Mummy369 Tue 29-Sep-09 02:03:09

sad You poor thing!

Is your thrush on the nipples or in the breast?

Picante Tue 29-Sep-09 08:05:11

It's on the nipples and deep inside the breast too. It hurts!!

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 08:08:49

ouch!

have you tried acidophilus?

Picante Tue 29-Sep-09 08:17:50

I'm taking it at the mo. I've also cut out most of the sugar in my diet which is harder than the pain!

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 08:26:01

There was a thread on here last week or so, which advised daktarin oral gel on nipples

forevermore Tue 29-Sep-09 08:38:12

How often do you take the grapefruit tabs and acido tabs? I want to buy them today and try. I have been thru three courses of nystatin and now using daktatin gel. Babies Tongue still White and I am getting occasional pains inbreast. Unsure if we actually have thrush or just milky tongue although it Doesnt wipe off??

I want to try natural remedies now though.

logrrl Tue 29-Sep-09 20:44:27

referenced article re treatment options on this blog

SuperAmoo Thu 01-Oct-09 15:30:46

Hi, sorry to butt in but I notice someone has advised putting dakatarin oral gel on nipples. This is not a good idea. The gel contains ethanol and will dry out and irritate the nipple making the symptoms worse. You should only put the miconozole cream on your nipples not the oral gel. I speak from experience - ouch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now