Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby constipated after starting solids. Whats best, bm or water?

(7 Posts)
Golda Mon 28-Sep-09 18:28:20

Ds started on solids about 2 weeks ago and is straining to poo and crying quite a bit. He has only had fruit and veg (no banana) so far. I haven't been giving him water as he is underweight so I bf before and after solids. Is water better for constipation than bm? I thought bm would be ok as 'breastfed babies don't get constipated' but does that only apply pre solid food?

OmicronPersei8 Mon 28-Sep-09 18:37:50

No advice re drink (although water that's had a prune sitting in it is said to help), but I found that carrot on its own can be constipating - DD was as you DS sounds, second time round I always mixed carrot with some fruit and we had no problems.

Golda Mon 28-Sep-09 18:40:35

He has had loads of carrot. I'll stop that for a while and see if he improves. thanks.

OmicronPersei8 Mon 28-Sep-09 18:44:12

I really couldn't believe the difference it made - poor DD got an anal fissure and was in agony. I hope it gets better for your DS soon.

LIZS Mon 28-Sep-09 18:51:59

bm . How old is your ds , maybe he isn't ready for solids ? bm is nutritionally better so tiny amounts of solids won't help him put on weight .

Golda Mon 28-Sep-09 19:29:56

He is just 7 months so he started about 6.5 months. He is behind in terms of his develoment though. Its hard to know what to do for the best. I am only giving him small amounts so he still gets plenty of milk but I wanted him to have some solids as I have a fear of him turning out like my friends ds who at age 5 still won't eat food with lumps in. When my older ones were babies the hv said that they needed to have food with lumps before they were 6.5 months or thy might reject them but in those days they were weaned at 4 months.
We are seeing the dietician in a few weeks so I'm just muddling through until then.
Before the solids he was only pooing every 10 days or so. Maybe he is protesting about having to do it every day grin.

iwantitnow Mon 28-Sep-09 20:17:02

It is really common when you first start weaning - I give dried apricot puree for breakfast and that soon sorts them out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now